what should I do if the appraised GLA is less than the seller's listing estimate. For instance, the seller

Asked by Et, 19003 Wed Jul 8, 2009

claimed it's 1600sf, but the appraised GLA is only 1500sf. Thanks!

Answers

5
Bruce Lang, Agent, Philadelphia, PA
Sat Mar 26, 2011
its not uncommon. sometimes the appraiser is wrong and you can appeal. othertimes the listing is wrong. if you feel you were defrauded, seek an attorney...if the public records show the amount the seller claimed it was then that "public information"....ask your agent or his/her broker
Amy Sullivan, Agent, Bryn Mawr, PA
Wed Jul 8, 2009
Hi Et,

Just sent you two emails with regard to questions. Let me know if you need any more assistance. Thanks!
Amy Sullivan, Agent, Bryn Mawr, PA
Wed Jul 8, 2009
I've run into discrepancies with square footage because most seller's rely on the number supplied by the listing broker when they purchased which is often based on the public records or previous sellers estimates. Public records can often be incorrect and vary considerably. Did the appraiser walk the interior of the property or do a drive by appraisal?
Fred Griffin, , Tallahassee, FL
Wed Jul 8, 2009
Hi, Et

I cannot give you Legal Advice, not being a Lawyer.
For Legal Advice, you need a Lawyer.

And I am not from Pennsylvania, but the same general principles should apply.

Square Footage or GLA is always a challenge. How do you measure the GLA?

*** A properly Licensed / Registered Appraiser will follow the USPAP:

The Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice (USPAP) are the generally accepted standards for professional appraisal practice in North America. USPAP contains standards for all types of appraisal services.

http://www.appraisalfoundation.org/s_appraisal/sec.asp?CID=6…

A Seller or Real Estate Agent may measure some other way, or they may rely on information found in the Property Appraiser Records or somewhere else.

*** The Appraisal done by the Appraiser is what Matters ***

If the listing shows Gross Leasable Area as 1600, but then an Appraiser shows
only 1500,

------ you may have a case of Misrepresentation -------

Is there a Real Estate Broker or Agent involved that you could bring this to the attention of? I would start there. If not, show it to the Seller and ask what they can do to remedy this.

Is that 100 feet going to be a Deal Breaker for you?

If you decide to break the Contract, you might need to see a Real Estate Attorney.

----------------------------
Best wishes to you,
Fred
------------------------
Fred Griffin, , Tallahassee, FL
Wed Jul 8, 2009
Have you bought the house yet?