Home Buying in 33606>Question Details

Nanofinance, Home Buyer in 33606

what is the tax for a non US citizen, when buying a house?

Asked by Nanofinance, 33606 Mon May 16, 2011

what is the percentage? plus agent fees?

Help the community by answering this question:


Hi Nano,

If you're not already working with a Realtor, I'd be happy to help you.

Generally speaking in Hillsborough County you should estimate about 2% of the sale price for property taxes. You have to be careful, though, because some properties have an extra tax burden called a Community Development District tax. This tax can an extra $1,000 to $4,000 to the annual tax bill.

Send me an email or call if you're not already working with a Realtor and are looking to purchase at least in the $70k or above price range. I will work with investors buying property below $70k but require a minimum $2k per transaction because it requires the same (if not more work) to close an investor transaction.

If you're not working with a Realtor, you're welcome to browse properties "like a Realtor" on my website by signing up for a ListingBook account:

All the best,
Alma Rose Kee, PA
Future Home Realty
Web Reference: http://SoldOnTampa.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue May 17, 2011
Although Mack is correct that there's no special taxes for non-citizen's to pay for buying properties, some areas of the country will assess non-resident fees as part of the closing costs. (Citizens and non-citizens, who are legal residents, and who don't reside in those areas, pay those fees.) Keep in mind also that different countries have different agreements in place. The issues get even murkier whenever considering expat and legal resident related taxing jurisdiction issues. To get a better idea of what you'd need to pay, you'd need to hire a CPA or attorney who specializes in international taxes.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon May 16, 2011
Ok, lets say I buy a house and I am not living there nor renting it. How much will I be paying per year in taxes? (give me an estimate %)
Thanks for helping!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon May 16, 2011
When buying a house there isn't a fee to a non us citizen. However, when selling Real Estate a tax is collected from non US Citizens.

As a buyer you normally wouldn't pay any fees to an agent as that is a cost to the Seller. Some well known firms will charge a $250 fee to buyers. Also if you are buying low price property (below $70k) you may also have to compensate a realtor above the minimal commission offered to attract a competent, highly experienced Realtor to assist you with finding the very best deals.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon May 16, 2011
There are no special taxes for non-citizens buying real estate in the USA, nanofinance. Agent fees vary, and the tax issues for owner-occupied homes are different than that for investment property - but they apply to all owners, not just citizens; you should consult with a local accountant with real estate experience.

All the best,
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon May 16, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer