what is the legal age to own property in Texas?

Asked by Joann, Canada, KY Fri Oct 19, 2007

Answers

6
Bruce Lynn, Agent, Coppell, TX
Sat Oct 20, 2007
Perry is right on this one.....you should be able to own at any age or no age (think trust or corporation) , but getting loans, signing contracts, etc is a seperate issue. Age of majority (legal age to enter contracts) in Texas is 18.
Web Reference:  http://www.teamlynn.com
Perry Hender…, Agent, Austin, TX
Sat Oct 20, 2007
You can own property at any age however you must have the ability to legally enter into a contract if you don;t already own it due to an inheritance or gifted to you.
If a child is gifted property do you know how old they must be to sell it?
Flag Sat Jul 9, 2016
Ruthless, , 60558
Sat Oct 20, 2007
I'm not sure, but I think the answer might be a little more complicated than just 18. The contract would have to be entered into by a legal adult but the ownership should be able to go to a minor. I bought a home that was built in the early 1900s and I was only the second owner. The parents had bought the home in the names of their sons. I sure there are trust all the time for property owned by minors.
Ruth
Nayra Bernac…, Home Seller, San Antonio, TX
Mon Oct 15, 2012
my daughter is 13 - My ex-husband committed suicide in front of me- My daughter was the only heir- she heritage some money- due to my own foreclosure, my depression and my lack of knowledge, my own lawyer from Illinois told me not to buy it in my name.
We- (my nice and I) bought a home in cash. I did not know the legalities of Texas law. I need to know if I can still put it in my daughter's name and then put it into a trust. My nice is 19 and she is willing to transfer everything to my daughter until my daughter is able or allowed to receive it . Now or in 5 years from now. Can someone give me an advice-
Ronald Reed, , 33009
Sun Feb 3, 2008
You must be 18 to legally contract in Texas
http://www.fhahomeloanmortgage.com/fha-states/texas-tx.shtml
The Hagley G…, Agent, Pleasanton, CA
Fri Oct 19, 2007
Eighteen. A minor may not legally ener into a contract in Texas, however, they may have the right to enforce an existing one. See link below.