Vtmom, Home Buyer in Essex Junction, VT

what is the difference between a grant deed and a deed?

Asked by Vtmom, Essex Junction, VT Sun Apr 15, 2012

Answers

3
Thank you both. I asked that because a condo we are interested in shows as having a "grant deed" in a previous sale and a "deed" in the next. I was wondering if there was a difference because the condo was purchased (the last time) in late July 2011 and put on the market (no improvements) three months later. Was trying to guess at what could be the circumstances when I noticed these two (apparently) different deed types. I was thinking maybe a "grant deed" was one where the property was "granted" vs sold to someone....

Who knows. Again, appreciate the information you have provided.
Marsha
Your question is an interesting one as I am not familiar with the term "grant deed" in Vermont. It is used in other states but, I don't believe we have a "grant deed" here. There are many different types of deeds used in Vermont: warranty deeds are the highest and best, most guaranteed deeds; quit claim deeds, executor deeds, limited warranty deeds, etc are common here. If you are entering into any legal deeded contracts and have any questions, the best person to contact would be your attorney. We are happy to provide names of local attorneys who specialize in real estate transactions.
Have a great day!
A grant deed is a type of deed used to convey ownership in a property. If you own your home free of any mortgages, then you should have a grant deed. Other types of deed include trust and quit-claim deeds.
Web Reference: http://www.archershomes.com