what is the best way to estimate the cost of cosmetic fixes? e.g. carpeting , external paint, internal

Asked by Vimo.planner, 91362 Wed May 20, 2009

paint, appliances, refinishing pantries, installing tiles in kitchen , replacing internal doors, sliding doors? i know this is generic questions but trying to figure out if to add in 10% or 20% of selling price for face lifting and of course if it makes sense financially speaking

Answers

5
Eugene Dean, Home Buyer, Provo, UT
Mon Nov 3, 2014
I would recommend taking these repairs one at a time. The total price may be overwhelming, but individual increments are more manageable. You should prioritize the projects by how badly they are needed. I would suggest starting with your internal doors.

http://www.harvestdoors.com
Barry Shapiro, Agent, Camarillo, CA
Wed May 20, 2009
Vimo ~

Int/Ext. paint, carpet, tile floors, interior doors, sliders and stainless-steel appliances will run you $30K at the low end or $50-60K+ at the high end, depending on finish, quality and coverage area. I work with investor/flippers, so we have it down to a routine. Once the property is under contract, you can obtain bids from competing contractors to do the work. Be sure to get a total price in writing, and a deadline date for completion (with a bonus for finishing early plus a penalty for everyday over the agreed date).

Generally speaking, you can negotiate a better deal on an outdated home, plus save on property taxes over the long run. Check that the contractor is licensed and has references:
Web Reference:  http://www.cslb.ca.gov/
Kerry Cahill, , Clinton, NJ
Wed May 20, 2009
Hi, you can approach it two ways, one is to bring a reliable general contractor with you to give you an estimate of the items you want to upgrade or repair. The other approach is to price the individual components yourself, ie appliances, doors, etc. If you are going to do the work yourself this will work. You can also ask the GC to just quote labor costs for the jobs with you providing the supplies. Hope this helps.
Maria Moreno…, , Oxnard, CA
Wed May 20, 2009
Hi Vimo,The best way to estimate home improvement costs is to take a licensed contractor out to the property with you. The trick is to find one that takes pride in his work and is reliable, honest and fair. I know of one that has such qualities. He will also give you a free estimate. Feel free to contact me for his information.
Heidi Golff, Agent, Ventura, CA
Wed May 20, 2009
Hello Vimo,
The best way to go about this is to take an experienced interior designer with you to look at the home. They work hand in hand with contractors all the time and therefore know what the charge. They also know how much the materials are. As far as how much to add for a facelift, if it isn't in the right neighborhood, then don't do it! You want to spend appropriately for the neighborhood. I have a wonderful interior designer that I rely on. If you want her name and number, please call me. You could also hire a contractor to go with you, many are very well aware of pricing for different materials. It is probably easier to get a designer, though, and you will need their input.