Home Buying in Chatham>Question Details

uracatnip, Home Seller in Chatham, NJ

what is the average realtor fee in chatham, nj?

Asked by uracatnip, Chatham, NJ Sun Jul 21, 2013

Answers

7
It is ILLEGAL for ANY agent to quote a commission rate in an open forum such as this. You can contact agents in your area and ask what they charge and more important what you get for what you pay. No agent can discuss what anyone else pays. It is a federal law which seems to be broken a lot but is not right.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 21, 2013
Scott we seem to be fighting a never ending battle with this topic! Way too many agents have no clue when it comes to anti trust laws, and it's pitiful! I actually took one continuing education class just on anti trust laws.......the instructor stronglt emphasized that NO agents should ever discuss commission among other agents or certainly in open forums.... It seems only a few of us "get" that!
Take care - be well!
Flag Sun Jul 28, 2013
Your best option is to call in several agents and discuss their marketing plans and commission structure.It can vary.

The only proper and legal response, due to federal anti trust laws, is that "all commissions are negotiable"...................because they really are!

Some have quoted what they believe to be "average rates" - don't be surprised if some agent will negotiate a different number with you.........that's why it's important for agents to never quote rates in open forums as it can be seen as an attempt at price fixing, even if that is not the intent.

Ask for references for 2 or 3 agents in your area.....if you can't get any references from friends, why not drive around and visit neighborhood open houses and meet the agents ... see how professional they are...........make an appointment to sit down and discuss pricing, marketing and commission.

Another option is to stop in 2local offices who do business in your area - ask to speak with the manager and ask them to recommend an agent from their office.

Select someone who has a proven track record...someone you feel comfortable with......and someone who tells you what you need to hear, not necessarily what you want to hear!
You can always find someone who will negotiate a lower commission then the next person, but in my opinion, that shouldn't be the main criteria you use in selecting your agent.

Best wishes!

Debbie Rose
Prudential NJ Properties
Hi, The average is typically between 5-6% and it is negotiable. Your agent should be experienced, have great website presence and know your market. I have listed, sold and lived in Chatham. Please feel free to give me a call on 973-214-5872 to find out what your home is worth.

Susan Zanzonico
Weichert, Realtors
Website: http://www.HouseBeautifulNJ.com
Oops ..I should have said "40 GOMEZ since Jan 1st this year..personally" have great night!

Btw ..yes all real estate commissions are negotiable ..and yes we can quote fees ..as independent contractors ..it's our choice..much the same as you having a choice in the agent, fee, service and results you receive!

Sean T Shallis
Broker/Sales Associate
Weichert Hq Office

(973) 984-1400 Ext 123

Direct line 855-734-8788 Ext 102* ...*Call First...Toll free and direct ..Forwards to my cell
Web Reference: http://youtu.be/PDT1fOiT09k
You need to read up on the federal anti trust laws...I suggest you call the NJ Real Estate Commission, or ask your Broker, or our Board of Realtors for clarification on this issue!
Flag Sun Jul 28, 2013
Great question..if you looking for average..5-6% is the fee..the challenge is that average agents are averaging substantially less sales price for their sellers.

For example, though my fee is higher than most..so are my results..

My average negotiated price is typically 1-2% more than the average..in contract in 1/3 of the time..oh yeah ..when the average agent negotiates a deal more than 30% of the time, the deal blows up..only to be remarketed for less!

Here is the kicker.." The average agent only sells 1-2 homes per YEAR.. "

I've personally helped more 40 families and or individuals "successfully" buy, sell or invest in real estate !

Question..would you let an average doctor preform surgery on a family member?

In short ."average realtors get average or less than average results"

You truly deserve the best of the best !

I'd be honored and excited to personally interview for the job of selling you home!

I am proud to be a "Great" estate agent.

Feel free to call me directly for a personal and confidential property evaluation.

Sean T Shallis
Broker/Sales Associate
Weichert Hq Office

(973) 984-1400 Ext 123

Hi - the answer from Jeanne is right- it is negotiable- but that is the norm- sometimes it can vary slightly.
If you need to sell your home- don't hesitate to call me. I know Chatham well.
Commission to both listing agent and selling agent is paid by seller as per agreement made at time listing is taken. It is negotiable and there is no standard but in most cases what I see is 5-6% split evenly between the two.

Good luck and best,
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results