what is the average % a buyers agent will ask for ?

Asked by Ryan Feltner, Rochester, NY Wed Nov 3, 2010

Answers

8
Dallas Texas’ answer
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Sun Mar 6, 2011
Buyers agent is paid by the property owner including the listing agent. All depends on what the listing agreement states.

When you sell any property you owner you will pay all Realtors fees

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
Thomas Kidera, Agent, Pittsford, NY
Fri Jul 25, 2014
Buyers agents are usually paid by the seller at closing and that amount is set by the seller at the time of the listing. What a buyer can control is hiring an agent who offers REBATES to the buyer from the amount they are paid by the seller.

In NEW YORK, agent rebates to buyers are perfectly legal, but you need to shop around to find a buyer who will agree to pay you a rebate. One brokerage that does pay rebates is WILBROOKE REALTY, LLC.

You can find them at http://www.wilbrooke.com. They pay 25% rebates to their buyer clients and they work in the ROCHESTER/FINGER LAKES area. Call them at 585 703-4856 if you are buying a home and want full service with a 25% rebate.
Voices Member, , Cornelius, NC
Sun Mar 6, 2011
Typical commisions are 6%. 3 to the selling agent and 3 to the buyers agent.
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Wed Nov 3, 2010
Keep in mind that the commission is negotiated between the seller and his/her agent--if two agents are involved in the transaction the commission is shared. As a buyer, you pay no commission unless you have an agreement with your agent to pay above what the seller is already offering, and in the case of a for sale by owner, however, do keep in mind that all commissions are negotiable, there are no set standards.
Bob Kirby, Agent, Rochester, NY
Wed Nov 3, 2010
Ryan, Just to add to Harlan Furbush answer. Who's answer is great and I know him to be a great agent. There is no average commision fees that are charged by buyers agents. It could be a flat fee like I charage. It takes the same work for me to sell a $60,000.00 home for a buyer as a $400,000. Why should I get more gravey for the same work from my client. Who I represent , andnot my wallet! Besides this there is no fixed % amount with Realtors. This would brake the Anti- Trust laws and would be price fixing. You can contact me at bobkirby@remax.net
G. Harlan Fu…, Agent, Pittsford, NY
Wed Nov 3, 2010
Ryan,
Typically a Buyer's Agent in our area will not get paid by the Buyer but will indeed be paid through their Broker. The Company, or Broker, that is listing the property For Sale will pay the Buyer Agent's Broker who will in turn pay the agent for assisting you in purchasing a home. There are always situations where that may differ such as if you were to pursue a home that is For Sale By Owner and the wanted your agents assistance but the Seller is unwilling to pay for your agents involvement. IN that case your agent may in fact ask you to pay for the help and expertise.
A couple things to rememeber: 1) if your agent is being paid by more than one party ina transaction they typically need to disclose that to you. 2) all agreements, especially those involving fees and compensation, need to be in writing and clearly understood by all parties involved.
In my 19 years it's been a very, very rare occasion when a Buyer has had to actively participate in my compensation in order to help them purchase a home. Typically the Seller, or Seller's Broker, has assumed that resposibility.

Harlan Furbush
Associate Broker
RE/MAX Realty Group
585-739-9409
Cindy Rosen, Agent, Montgomery, AL
Wed Nov 3, 2010
Ryan excellent question. Buyer's commission is generally set by the listing agent when drawing up the contract. What you should ask when listing your home is how much will I pay in commission and how are you splitting that with the buyers agent. Ask your selling agent what they are offering to the buyers agent out of the number they are setting. Make sure it is fair and that it will entice buyers agents to show the property.
Joan Braunsc…, , Morris County, NJ
Wed Nov 3, 2010
Buyer's agents typically don't ask for a percentage. The commission agreement is usually written in the contract between seller and listing agent and that includes the split made with the buyer's agent.
Normally, the commission is paid out of the proceeds at closing.