what is non-conforming square footage?

Asked by batlcat7, Louisville, KY Sat Jun 16, 2012

mls 1332366 has 1528 sq ft and 1528 non-conforming

Answers

6
Neil Blumberg’s answer
Neil Blumberg, Agent, Louisville, KY
Sat Jun 16, 2012
Here at the Greater Louisville Association of Realtors in Louisville, Kentucky and many other associations throughout the US, we use the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) rules on how to measure square footage. Until we adopted that standard, it was pretty much up to the individual Realtor to decide how to measure with many "customary" rules but nothing definite. Now we have certainty.

Examples of uncertainty clarified by ANSI (1) Do you count sq ft in the basement as sq ft of house? (2) Does it matter if part of the basement is above ground or if it is a walk-out? (3) What where the ceiling height is lower than the rest of the house? (4) What is the height it will be considered standard height and when will it be considered non-conforming height?

So non conforming sq ft will be those sq ft that are present in a home (example 300 sq ft of home where ceiling height is only 6') but do not conform to the ANSI standard (7' height required, with certain exceptions).

I hope this clarified the situation. Call any time with questions. 502-254-9600

Best regards, Neil Blumberg
Web Reference:  http://www.metro1realty.com
Whit Courte…, Agent, Louisville, KY
Sat Jun 16, 2012
For mls 1332366, I suspect it is a typo error and/or it is because the "finished space" has not been completed yet - new construction in process of being built.
Whit Courte…, Agent, Louisville, KY
Sat Jun 16, 2012
Usually it is a second floor that has low ceilings due to the gabled roof, but it can be other things too. It depends on the house. Is there a particular house you are wondering about ?
Tim Moore, Agent, Kitty Hawk, NC
Sat Jun 16, 2012
Here it means the space was not permited to be finished.
Debbie Simms, Agent, Louisville, KY
Sat Jun 16, 2012
Good morning. I looked at the pictures of this home and it is actually kind of odd that there is that amount of nonconforming sq. ft. It isn't really unusual to see nonconforming sq ft but this is odd. I can find out of it is a typo or something for you if you want.
If you are already working wiith a realtor you can have them check it out for you. I'm not sure you noticed but that home is still in the beginning stages of construction. Call me cell or send me an email if you would like to talk.

Kathy Ludwig, Agent, Louisville, KY
Sat Jun 16, 2012
This is any area or part of a room that has less than a 5 ft. distance from ceiling to floor, or does
not have a vent to the furnace.

Kathy Ludwig
(502) 558-4418