what is deeded access to common waterfront?

Asked by Artur Kruk, China, ME Sat Oct 8, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Luvamy99, Home Buyer, Rome, ME
Mon Mar 13, 2017
What does deeded dock rights mean??
0 votes
Nanettepeter…, Home Buyer, Orlando, FL
Wed Jun 10, 2015
If I have deeded lake a cess can I put a private dock in the water
0 votes
Andrew Mooers, Agent, Houlton, ME
Sun Dec 18, 2011
A lake could have a lot used only by the land owners on the mountain behind it. In the sale of the land, that is not on the waterfront, the common but private lot is used by the grantees in each of the land purchases. For common use but not for the public. Private, shared to provide waterfront enjoyment with the land purchases as a bonus. Do's and don'ts on the Maine waterfront shoreland zoning which extends 250' around the lake in this case.
0 votes
Shawn Ryan R…, Agent, Belleville, NJ
Wed Dec 14, 2011
sort of like an easement...you have a legal right to traverse the grounds along the waterfront
0 votes
Tim Moore, Agent, Kitty Hawk, NC
Sat Oct 8, 2011
We have a lot of deeded access here since we are a sandbar next to the ocean. Deeded access means that your deed has, written it it, verbiage giving you ingress and egress across land owned by someone else that allows you to cross it to get to the water. You don't own it, you just have access over it and the owner can not restrict your access with a fence or a building etc. It adds value to your property to have it and it MUST be in the recorded deed to be official.
0 votes
Charlene Ham…, Agent, Camden, ME
Sat Oct 8, 2011
typically this means that home you are looking at shares waterfront in common with other homes in the development. So for example, a house in Rome would be in a development where there is a common beachfront area that serves all the homes in that development. The deeded access means that in the deed it specifies you have the right to use that waterfront.

Of course, without knowing the specific property it is hard to say for sure. Check the deed of the property and also work with your agent. If you don't have an agent, I will be happy to help.
0 votes
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Sat Oct 8, 2011
For any necessary legal advice do consult with an attorney; generally a deeded access allows a right of way to the waterfront; do review the deed that grants such access beforehand...
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more