Home Buying in Los Angeles>Question Details

Jack, Home Owner in 30135

what is best way to get rid of unwanted house guest/significant other from ur home. they have no lease agreement and not on mortgage

Asked by Jack, 30135 Mon Apr 29, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:


Well, try to remember at one point you liked this person well enough to invite them to live in your home.

That being said, you should ask them to leave by a certain deadline make sure it is realistic.

Maybe you can offer to assist them with relocation fees.

Even if they are not on the mortgage or have a lease, if they have lived at the home and received mail there they have established residency. You will have to follow proper eviction laws if they refuse to leave simply by being asked to leave.

Keep thins peaceful and respectful.

Best of Luck to you!

Kawain Payne, Realtor
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 1, 2013
The best way to resolve any conflict is always to have a dialog and negotiate. To give and to take. Avoind having to resort to legal proceedings.. the courts are full the process is inefficient and you get what you would get if you negotiated from the beggining.

Have a conversation with your guest (be courteous and diplomatic) ask them why you want them to leave and setup a deadline so they can have time to adjust. Offer to give them some relocation funds or to get them a moving truck... be part of his solution and not just the problem.

If things are irrational consult with an evictions attorney, but it will cost you money to get a decent one... most eviction firms are setup as chop-shops and the do it for about $800 but the attorneys never work on your case... their paralegal fill out the forms and they send an "appearance attorney" to court... that "appearance attorney" has no clue and has not read anything on your case andis just a warm body... a good attorney will cost you minimum of $1,500. Then the court may side with your guest and you lost all this time and money... SO... as you can see negotiating is better,.

If you find my answer helpful, give it a Thumbs Up or slect it as the Best Answer! If you need an eviction attorney contact me and I can refer you some good ones we use.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 30, 2013
Dear Jack,
I assume you have let the person know they must find another place to live? Set a date limit and inform the landlord then change the locks. If the home is legally yours you can also use the police, but I would try other methods first.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 30, 2013
I agree with my colleague...this is out of the domain of a Realtor. Seek legal advice.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 29, 2013
You still need to see an attorney. Are you getting a divorce? Did they pay any of the bills? You can not just tell the person to get out. You still need to give them a written notice. Seek LEGAL ADVICE.


0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 29, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer