what is a survey and who orders it?

Asked by Alphamale, New York Tue Sep 6, 2011

Answers

5
Mon Nov 26, 2012
how long does it take for me to recieve a survay after i order one?
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Tue Sep 6, 2011
Generally not needed in Urban areas, becuase they have been done so many times:
Usually only done when someone suspects that there is an error.
Do you?

George Washington was a Surveyor, and so was Abraham Lincoln.

Good luck and may God bless
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Tue Sep 6, 2011
Usually the buyer orders a survey, unless the seller has a recent one that is acceptable to all parties--however, you should consult with your attorney before ordering one on your own. A survey is a property sketch showing boundaries among other things--again, consult with your attorney before ordering....
Alan May, Agent, Evanston, IL
Tue Sep 6, 2011
Basically it's a "map" of the property, showing where all 'permanent' fixtures are... the house, the driveway, sidewalks any outbuildings (garages, sheds)... and typically shows fences as well.

it's a way of checking to see if there are any "encroachments" (somebody elses stuff on your property... or anything of yours hanging over onto someone else's property)...

In our area, the seller's attorney orders it and the seller pays for it. I'm sorry, but I don't know what's customary in New York.
Rachel Damma…, , Westminster, CO
Tue Sep 6, 2011
A survey draws out your property lines. Often times fences and property lines aren't true to the legal description and plat map of the property so a survey will make sure the property lines are correct. You can order it or sometimes your lender will request one.