what does the unexempt taxes mean on the MLS listing?

Asked by Linda Belford, Houston, TX Thu Sep 16, 2010

I'm interested in buying a house and I noticed the mls listing says unexempt taxes what does this mean to me as the buyer?

Answers

8
Nancy W. Sua…, Agent, Houston, TX
Sat Sep 18, 2010
Linda,
Thanks for your question. It is a very important part of the tax total. The unexempt means there are no homestead or over 65 or disabled/handicapped filed expemptions on this property. The total taxes are without any thing discounted!
You are entitled to a homestead exemption on property you purchase in the state of texas. I can get you more details on how this is calculated by the state and other taxing authorities for specific properties.
It would be wise to just compare tax rates in the areas as opposed to comparing the total taxes as they can vary from entity to entity --school districts, education, airport, drainage, water -- all these can tax property.

Please let me know how I can help you further in your home buying process if you are not exclusively working with another agent at this time.

Nancy
Texas Presti…, , Houston, TX
Sun Sep 19, 2010
Simply put, unexempt taxes means that the property and/or the purchaser may or may not qualify for exemptions and those are the taxes that you may need to pay.
Jill Wente, Agent, Spring, TX
Thu Sep 16, 2010
Linda, I am assuming the listing says "taxes without exemptions". Our MLS shows the taxes for a property without exemptions because you may or may not qualify for the exemptions that our currently on a property. As a buyer there are some exemptions that will remain with the property for the rest of the year such as the homestead exemption. For you to receive the benefit of the exemption in the following year you will have to apply for it between Jan. 1st - April 30th of that year and be qualfied to receive it. You can receive more detailed information on property exemptions at the harris county appraisal district website of http://www.hcad.org.
Gmslaton, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Sun Aug 14, 2016
I bought my principal residence in 1985...I have lived only in this home now for over 30 years ...I have the original Warranty Deed from May 1985 as well as several home equity loans on said property..the Harris County Appraisal District has notified me recently that my Homestead Exemption status for the last five years has been cancelled due to HCAD saying I never filed for a homestead exemption when I purchased my home and therefor owe additional taxes for the last 5 years...every year I have received a homestead exemption from HCAD addressed to the former owner in care of my wife and I ...never thought anything of it in that have done.several home equity loans from banks on the basis that the property they investigated prior to the loan satisfied their belief that in fact this property was my homestead...HCAD said I never filed an application for a homestead exemption and owe taxes base on property taxes without the exemption...what can I do for them to honor my homestead exemption from 1985 to the present
Vonda Gideon, , Houston, TX
Thu Sep 23, 2010
Good Question! Means the home currently does not have any tax exemptions. A home owner may have one property as their Homestead that qualifies for a tax exemption. Another tax exemption often seen is for Seniors while another exemption may be for a Disabled Home Owner. The home you are inquiring about may be an investment property. After purching your new home, you will need to file for a Homestead exemption and any other exemptions you may quailify for. The tax exemption will begin in Janaury. For more information, please visit http://www.hcad.org.

Vonda Gideon, CDPE, CHMS, ePro, SRES

Cell Phone: (281) 210-4905

email: Vonda@VondaGideon.com

website: http://www.VondaGideon.com
Web Reference:  http://www.vondagideon.com
Kathleen Ham…, , Houston, TX
Fri Sep 17, 2010
Hello, Ms. Belford!
Looking for a home now is a great time to do so. The taxes in MLS are noted as unexempted. The home owner may have an exemption because of age, etc but it is not shown in this area as it more than likely won't apply to you. Your interest is in what the taxes will be for YOU!! I am a realtor in the Greater Houston Area. I would like to help you with your search and the steps necessary to purchase a home. Call me and let's visit about your specific needs. You may contact me by phone (281) 799-4002 or email KathleenRealtor1@gmail.com
Have a terrific and Wonder-full weekend. Your friend in real estate, Kathleen Hamid
Peggie Pente…, , Houston, TX
Fri Sep 17, 2010
This would be the full assessed amount of taxes based on the value of the home by HCAD without exemptions for Homestead or any other allowable exemption. You can refer to HCAD.org where you will find a list of possible exemptions that could alter the amount of taxes you would pay on the property in Harris County. If this is another county, your Realtor could assist you with obtaining that information on any property you were interested in. The most common exemption is a Homestead exemption but all exemptions affect the amount of taxes you would pay on the property. Since Texas has no state income tax, our property taxes are higher than in other parts of the country, but having the possibility for exemptions helps with the tax burden!
Persis Behra…, Agent, Cinco Ranch, TX
Fri Sep 17, 2010
Hi Linda, as Jill mentioned earlier, I am assuming you are looking at the tax amount that gives you the total tax that the property would currently owe if there were no exemptions on it. Homestead is a common exemption that folks avail of since they live in the house; others like 'over 65', for example allow those that are 65 and over to have further exemption along with the homestead. If the house you are interested in, is in the Harris County then http://www.hcad.org will be a good place to check out the details, however, if you are in another county then there are different web sites to check that out.
713-294-7747