what does it mean when a listing says "purchaser is responsible for obtaining U and O certification"?

Asked by Janet Reavis, Philadelphia, PA Thu Mar 8, 2012

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Sheri Curci, Agent, Newtown, PA
Thu Mar 8, 2012
Hello Janet, If your outside of the City Limits than you should go to the Twp office or have your Agent give you the Twp Check List of inspections to be done in order to obtain a Use + Occupancy Certificate= U + O. Depending on the Twp requirements..... Depends on what you’re required to satisfy.
Usually the Seller completes this process BUT in a distressed sale / Short Sale / Bank REO etc.... they pass this on to you the Buyer.
Go into this acceptance with your Eyes Wide Open.... It may be a little bit of repair i e GFCI receptacle or you may need to replace the curbs outside ( Boo Coo Cost )

If you’re in the Bucks County / Philadelphia Area? We can Help.
If Not + your don’t have a Realtor.... do your due diligence.

All the Best John Curci RE/MAX Properties 1-866-473-6290
Web Reference:  http://www.HomeCatch.com
2 votes
Ana Barlow, Agent, Philadadelphia, PA
Thu Mar 8, 2012
Hi Janet:

Here is a link to the city / presuming you are buying in Philly / other area's will have the same or a similar process to obtain a certificate of occupancy.

You must have c/o should you plan on having the property occupied by humans for whatever the property is intended for / home / rental /etc.

You need an agent to guide you. In Pennsylvania the seller pays both the commissions for the buyer and agent representation. It will not cost you half of the commission to be fully represented, find a good agent. They will give you professional guidance based on the individual situation, which is very important.

Ana Barlow, Coldwell Banker Preferred
Avenue of the Arts Office - Philadelphia
2 votes
Sharon Sapp, Agent, Reading, PA
Thu Mar 8, 2012
Typically, the seller goes to the township and asks for the use and occupancy permit. The township sends someone out to inspect the property and the seller may have to make some repairs to be issued the permit. A settlement cannot happen unless the permit or certification is received. In a short sale, foreclosure or when funds are tight, the buyer is typically responsible for this process - getting the permit and making any required repairs.
Web Reference:  http://YourRealtor4PA.com
1 vote
Aaron Gray, Agent, Elkins Park, PA
Thu Mar 8, 2012
Use and occupancy certification the property can be inhabited.
1 vote
Ebikes4u, Home Buyer, San Antonio, TX
Thu Jun 11, 2015
It is called a use and occupancy certificate.
0 votes
Fran and Mark…, Agent, Yardley, PA
Fri Mar 9, 2012
Hi Janet

Your zip code is within the city limits of Philadelphia. The best answers here will come from professionals who practice in the city. You can buy without a U&O, you just cant occupy the property. In order to move in legally you will need at least a conditional U&O followed by full compliance within a specified timeframe. If you make an offer on a property under these conditions be sure to include wording in your agreement to terminate your contract if the U&O requirements are to costly. By the way the requirments in Philadelphia are minor compared to some of the outlying communities.

Good Luck

Fran and Mark Redding
Prudential Fox Roach
1010 Stony Hill Road
Yardley PA 19067
215-321-3307 Direct
215-208-7169 Cell
Web Reference:  http://www.franandmark.com
0 votes
Annette Levi…, , New York, NY
Fri Mar 9, 2012
That means you need to buy in cash. A mortgage cannot close without the certificate.
In my area only the owner can get it.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more