Craig, Home Buyer in 91342

what do i have to do to first in order to buy a house?

Asked by Craig, 91342 Sat Aug 23, 2008

it is a manufactured house priced at 140,000

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Joel Javan, , Santa Clarita, CA
Tue Aug 26, 2008
Hi Craig,
The first step in buying a house really is getting pre-approved by a lender. Any Realtor who knows what they're doing would tell you this. However, as far as you're concerned, I would say contact a Realtor who specializes in your area first and here's why: most Realtors work with a team of people needed to complete a transaction which includes, a title rep, escrow officer, lender, home insurance agent, appraiser, etcetera - and they should. It just makes sense that Realtors would choose only those they trust and who they know will deliver their part in the process.

So interview at least 2 or 3 Realtors and work with the one you're most comfortable with and know that when you hire this person, he or she will get his or her entire team working to get you what you want. He or she should direct you towards getting pre-approved first and you can rest assured that you will be referred to a loan consultant who your "Realtor of choice" trusts.
0 votes
Yona Bello, , Studio City, CA
Sun Aug 24, 2008
Hi Craig,

In addition to getting pre-approved you might want to check out what amenities are near by, are you near Mission College in Sylmar where the community services offer many varied classes that you might enjoy, food stores, emergency 24 hour care centers etc....

Yona Bello
Web Reference:
0 votes
Donna Chase, , Norwell, MA
Sat Aug 23, 2008
You actually have two options. First would be to get pre-approved by a reputable lender so that you could be ready to make an offer should you decide to purchase that particular home. You could also, as Leonardo suggest, locate a top agent. However, the quandary in both scenarios is to be able to determine just who is "reputable" or "top". Word of mouth isn't always the best solution. My recommendation would be to go with the agent first. They are knowledgeable enough to be able to recommend a great mortgage lender. In order to find that great agent, interview several. Ask the following: How many years have you been an agent? (not a huge determinant, however, you won't want to work with someone only a few years in the business), how many homes have they sold to buyers in the last 12 months?, what professional designations have they earned (look for ABR, CRS,GRI) and how many hours a week do they work at real estate, in other words, are they full time? Will you be able to call them when you have questions and actually get them? These will all help you find the right agent. Then get pre-approved by their recommended lender and allow them to help you with your purchase. Good luck!
0 votes
Leonardo Mon…, Agent, Palm Springs, CA
Sat Aug 23, 2008
Hey Craig,

My suggestion is first to contact a reputable Realtor in your area. One that will be able to explain you the process. As a Realtor myself i have had several first time buyers working with me and it is crucial for you to get the best advise possible in order to make such an important move/decision in your life.
Good luck.
Web Reference:
0 votes
Joan Patters…, Agent, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Sat Aug 23, 2008
Hi Craig,

First of all, you need to get a good loan officer to help you. Some lenders won't even lend on manufactured homes. It all depends on if it is on a fixed foundation and there are some other qualifications that the lenders have. So, let me know if I can put you in touch with a few lenders. But, that is your first step even before making an offer, to make sure you are qualified and that you can find a lender to lend on that type of structure.

Make sure you have a good buyer's agent as well that knows how to really protect you when writing an offer on this type of home as well.

Good luck!

Joan Patterson, B.A., A.S.P., G.R.I. Realtor
Keller Williams Realty
8250 White Oak Avenue, Ste 102
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730
0 votes
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Sat Aug 23, 2008
Good Afternoon Craig,

You can try contacting a trusted mortgage broker in your area to get prequalified, stay away from the internet lenders. You should also have someone representing you, You should considering hiring a buyer broker, make sure their fee is paid from the selling agent. They also can gove you some mortgage referalls. Once you know you are qualified, they can assist you in writing a purchase agreeement. Goo dluck with your purchase.
Web Reference:
0 votes
Chris Klebba, , Charlotte, NC
Sat Aug 23, 2008
First you need to speak to a lender to ensure you're qualified to finance that amount. Take it from there.
0 votes
Deborah Lon…, , Torrance, CA
Sat Aug 23, 2008
Hi Craig. One of the first things to do is to connect with a Realtor you feel comfortable and happy working with. He or she can then direct you to one or two sharp lenders for you to talk with about the financing. I'm assuming you will be getting a loan, is that correct? Not all lenders work with manufactured housing so be sure your Realtor understands what kind of property you'll be buying. Call our team for more information-800-398-7318 and we'll get you started in the right direction!
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Home Buying in Sylmar Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more