what county in NJ has the cheapest property taxes?

Asked by HeNDoGg, Paterson, NJ Sat Oct 1, 2011

My brother and I are in our late 40's. We're both divorced and looking to buy a home together. Because of currant finances we want to be able to afford the taxes when we retire.

Answers

4
Anthony Cinc…, Agent, Cape Coral, FL
Sat Oct 1, 2011
The link below has a complete list of property tax rates by county for FY2010.

I moved from NJ due to the high property taxes. My wife and I chose Florida because we were able to get a much nicer home for significantly less both in cost of the home and in property taxes. A similar home to what we purchased in Florida would have cost us roughly 4 times what are taxes are here.

I hope the link is of use to you in making your decision and Happy house hunting!

Anthony
Jane Shebroe, Agent, Jupiter, FL
Sat Oct 1, 2011
I hear ya Hendogg! it's kind of sad that many people have to leave their NJ homes to retire in the south just to be able survive because of New Jersey having the highest taxes in the whole nation!
Please contact me to discuss areas you prefer and I will help you find a lower tax rate home based on the lowest taxed area of your choice.

Jane
JMax123@aol.com
http://www.RealTerrific.com
Marsha Bowen…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Sat Oct 1, 2011
Hi Hendogg,

If you want to save on taxes in New Jersey, you might be better suited looking into towns in the Central and Southern part of the state. You can cut your taxes in half if you consider towns in Burlington, Salem and Camden counties. I can refer you to a Realtor if you are interested in further assistance.

Best of luck to you and your brother on your retirement.
Deborah Madey, Agent, Brick, NJ
Sat Oct 1, 2011
Taxes are determined by each municipality, not at the county level. There can be two towns very nearby with different tax bases

The suggestion that I have for you is to define the lifestyle characteristics which are most appealing to you in a community, and allow members of Trulia Voices to make suggestions on locations that meet your criteria with "low property taxes" being one of your high priority criteria. Price point for the property purchase is also important to include.

For example, Spring Lake has low property taxes, but the properties are not inexpensive. For someone who seeks to be near the shore, it's an excellent opportunity to have low taxes compared to other shore communities with housing in the same price points. Spring Lake may not even come close to meeting the other criteria on your list.

If you could share a bit more about what you seek, including price points, I am sure you will receive information more relevant to your preference.