what can you tell me about Snead Island, Palmetto, FL -- particularly the area of Amberwynd?

Asked by Cathi, 34221 Wed Jun 24, 2009

We're relocating from out of state, and have heard some people refer to Palmetto as "PalGetto", but is Snead Island different? We're looking in Amberwynd.

Answers

9
Jordan Chanc…, Agent, Bradenton, FL
Thu Jun 25, 2009
Hello Cathi,

As an agent that actually sells in the area, Snead Island is one of the most desirable areas in the county. And Amberwynd is the only gated neighborhood on Snead Island, it features large Med/Spanish style homes on larger lots on either the lake, wooded area, or a canal that leads to Terra Ceia Bay the to Tampa Bay.

As with Palmetto, just as in most communities some areas are less desirable than others. Also Sneald Island is currently not incorporated into the City of Palmetto, so no additional taxes.

Snead Island is made up of several small neighborhoods, Gulf and Bay Estates, Amberwynd, Heritage Bay and Mangrove Point.

Deemed a waterfront and boating friendly community, a true relaxed setting, many neighbors have golf carts, exercise and have social group activities. Snead Island has only one way on/off, which means almost zero crime. Home to the Bradenton Yacht Club, and the 300+ acre Emerson Preserve Park.

Snead Island has also held its value well; it is not over run with short sales and foreclosures as in other waterfront areas, actually almost zero short sales and foreclosures.
Many families stay on the Island for years, upsizing of downsizing, by moving just a few streets over.

Snead Island is the furthest away in terms of ghetto. :)

My office is only a few minutes away, I would be happy to show you around.

Jordan Chancey
Leslie Wells Realty Inc.
Direst 941-545-8816
http://www.JordanChancey.com
Jordan@JordanChancey.com
Rakuflames, Home Buyer, Bradenton, FL
Tue Sep 10, 2013
I think anyoone who calls Palmetto "Palmghetto" is a pig and not worth listening to about anything.

ALL towns and cities have more wealthy areas and less wealthy areas. Bradenton has more and less affluent areas. So does Sarasota, St. Petersburg, Tampa and any other town or city you could name.
rontravis13, Home Owner, Holiday, FL
Sat May 18, 2013
Snead Island is a wonderful place to live. There is a state park on the water with nature trails. Indian burial grounds, observation towers with views of all of the surrounding area including the Sunshine Skyway bridge and Tampa Bay. There are horses and a place to board them on the island. Bike paths. Strong Snead Island Home owners association with numerous family style gatherings and Christmas events. The Snead Island Boat works has been home to large deep water yachts and pleasure boats for probably 5 years and has even had America's Cup contenders stationed there.The Bradenton Yacht Club on Snead Island has a truly beautiful facility with boat docks, gas pumps. deep water protected slips, tennis courts, heated pool, super fun Tiki hut and several acres all on the water . The food is great and a very welcoming relaxed atmosphere. Very non fussy ! Many walkers, bikers, joggers and families out most every morning and lots of golf carts riding around. Palmetto is a very nice town and has a beautiful center known as Sutton Park with paths, ball fields and a band stand area. The city is in the middle of several beautification projects and has a 2 large marinas with restaurants and docks to walk around on. A lot of the city is built around the waterfront area and has a nice waterfront area on 4th street with older Southern style homes.There is a strong Arts area and the Palmetto Historical area where old settler type cabins, a very unique church and agricultural museum exist .All in all a nice area and way layed back. The nice thing is that you can be at the Tampa Bay Rays domed stadium and downtown waterfront area in St Petersburgh in 30 minutes or be at Tampa Stadium watching the Tampa Bay Bucs in an hour or at St Armands Circle , the premier International Shopping area in Sarasota very quickly. I am a native to this area and a resident of Snead Island for 30 years.I also am a Co/Owner of several Re/Max Franchises in Manatee and Sarasota area so you should know I can chose to live pretty much anywhere but have chosen this area. Ron Travis13@gmail.com
David B. Lev…, , Longboat Key, FL
Sun Jul 4, 2010
Cathi
i live on snead Island, found it about 5 yrs. ago. I had the same thought about Palmetto at 1st never thought i would live in Palmetto but Snead Island is awesome. The list goes on and on, quiet, peaceful, people wave to you as you walk bye and the park emerson pointe is relaxing and peaceful your own little beach. I live about 2 houses away from Amberwynd and know it well. There are some good deals for sure in there. Call me if you want to talk more would love to show you the island
David Leventhal
The Leventhal Team
941-518-7694
Tim Lester, Agent, PALMETTO, FL
Wed Nov 18, 2009
Cathi, hello, visit manateehomelink.com to search for homes in that area. I'm born and raised on the water in Palmetto. With any city your going to have diversity. I'm sure you'll be completely satisfied with Amberwynd and Snead Island. However your mailing address will still be Pametto. LOL! I know mine is to.

Call me 941-524-8465 You can come by our house and we can go by boat. We can check out some Manatees. They are all over these canals. I'll even point out some great fishing spots. Remember, the Bradenton Yacht Club choose Snead Island for their location for a great reason!

Tim
Fred Griffin, , Tallahassee, FL
Wed Jun 24, 2009
Southwest Florida is the best!

(Okay, I was born there, so I am prejudicial).

The climate, the beaches, the shopping - it's all there along the I-75 corridor from Tampa to Bradenton to Sarasota to Venice (my hometown), to Fort Myers to Naples.
----------------------------

A quick internet search brings up Amberwynd Homeowners' Association Web Page at:

http://www.amberwynd.com/cgi-bin/index.pl?action=main

That page does not have a lot of information without a Login ID.

-------------------

On a serious note -

I have recently had buyers looking in Sarasota, Charlotte, and Lee counties.
That part of Florida has taken a major financial hit.
Entire projects and subdivisions foreclosed upon, developers walking away from unfinished subdivisions,
builders leaving "skeletons" that never became condominiums, and so on.

If you are buying into any subdivision, homeowners' association, or especially condominium association, proceed with extreme caution.

If a developer or a development makes promises of "soon to be built clubhouses", or "tennis courts and pools coming soon", or similar promises, do not count on it. (An investor friend of mine dropped $99,000 on a lot based upon those promises - the developer bankrupted and never built any of those things. My friend now has .12 acres worth of dirt.)

Also, get stats on how many properties in a subdivision, area, or neighborhood are either in foreclosure,
or have been foreclosed upon. Further south (particularly Charlotte County), there are some neighborhoods that are becoming derelict and crime-infested because of the amount of empty foreclosed-upon houses.

Have an Attorney review any and all financial statements, condo docs, HOA covenants, deed restrictions, etc. BEFORE you sign a Residential Sale and Purchase Contract.

-------------

*** On the Positive Side, you as a Buyer should be able get a truly good deal in the current Southwest Florida Real Estate Market.
You as a Buyer will have many, many houses to choose from (I am referring to Southwest Florida and not necessarily to "Amberwynd").

Best wishes in your search for a new home... welcome to Florida!
Fred
Monika Depalo, , Port Orange, FL
Wed Jun 24, 2009
Snead Island is located at the Manatee River and Tampa Bay. Snead Island properties may have personal docks or marinas public boat launches for smaller boats, The yacht club has fishing tourneys.

Palmetto Florida is north of Bradenton. Palmetto just across the Manatee River to Bradenton and Sarasota. Palmetto is a historic town with Victorian homes & cracker style homes new homes, gated communities, and retirement villages.

North of Palmetto on US 19, you can try the Crab Trap restaurant

Please e-mail me and we can meet up to view properties and see the area. I work 5 counties in Florida and have an entire state license.
email : monikadepalo@adamscameron.com
Monika Depalo, , Port Orange, FL
Wed Jun 24, 2009

email : monikadepalo@adamscameron.com
Genevieve Ra…, Agent, Punta Gorda, FL
Wed Jun 24, 2009
Cathi,
I once showed a house in Amberwynd. I did not like the way to get there. The house itself was beautiful. However, I am not from the area and that's an outsider's point of view. I am sure every area has it's positives and negatives and hopefully you'll get answers that help you decide for yourself.
Genny