what can a buyer do when the owner hide known defects i n the house and is trying to say the?

Asked by De, Virginia Mon May 19, 2008

purchaser/renter has caused the problems. i will note here that the owner kept the fact that the roof leaked badly and the ceilings were painted to hide this in addition to the roof and thier own roof person advised them to replace the roof. New from the frame to the cover of the roofing material. There is mold in the attic and damage caused to much of the wall paper from the ceiling down the walls.. i had an inspection done and it revealed many more things and when the FHA loan required them the owner to make it all good they recoiled and they are suing me !! they are haveing me thrown out of the house and they are in my opinioncrazy. I nnede to know if i have any other recourse

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Jeffrey Schn…, Agent, Austin, TX
Mon May 19, 2008

Clearly not enough info in your question to answer it. Go get a competent real estate attorney, fast!

0 votes
Cindy Jones, Agent, Alexandira, VA
Tue May 20, 2008
It sounds as if you are a renter who wants to purchase the home you are living in. I'm not sure how an owner can sue a tenant for damage from a roof leak unless you had an agreement that you would maintain the home as part of a lease option agreement. Please consult a real estate attorney. There are so many details to your situation that needed to be sorted out by someone who has access to all of the documents and review the circumstances.
Web Reference:  http://cindyjoneshomes.com
1 vote
Alen Moshkov…, Agent, Brooklyn, NY
Mon May 19, 2008
I'm not sure how you purchased a home after a failed inspection, unless it was revealed after the fact, in that case the original inspector was incompetent. If the selling broker knew these defects, you can have them sued for not informing you of them and you can sue the owner, I'm not sure to which extent but at-least to fix all of the repairs. Actually you may even be able to get out of this house, but please advice a lawyer before you do anything on your own.
0 votes
Larry Story, Agent, Greensboro, NC
Mon May 19, 2008
I am confused you had an inspection which revealed all these problems and you still went through with the purchase? Did your agent use alternative 1 or 2 on the contract? Jeffrey is correct in telling you to consult a real estate attorney. You might also call the local FHA office. Just from the little bit of information we can glean from your post you seem to be in the right. But, that is just one side of the story and you need professional legal advice.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more