Here's four pros of buying a townhome:
1) You can be lazy, you're yard is manicured for you! This is where your Homeowne's Association comes into play, you pay a monthly fee to them for them to manage the grounds of your property.
2) The units are close and the parking areas are generally shared. This will allow you to be in close contact with your neighbors. There is a sense of security with having others nearby, and you can generally find a good pool party.
3) Townhomes are generally less expensive than Detached Homes and so you can save your cash while still experiencing home ownership, in the Mt. Pleasant market, townhomes and condos are experiencing growth about on par with Single Family homes, so you can invest like you would a stand-alone home, but with usually less in home price.
4) When you buy a town home, you buy a community, meaning you're going to get amenities, they usually come with a gym, laundry facilites, a pool, a clubhouse, or a number of other amenities that you may or may not find in other neighborhoods.
4 CONS to buying a townhome:
1) Exercise is mandatory! Townhomes are almost always two or three stories high, you will have a bedroom on one floor and your living area on another. If you have bad knees, this can be a con.
2) Even if you've paid your townhome off, you're still going to have the monthly HOA fees, they are there to maintain your property and so you will have that fee for good.
3) If you own big pets, big cars, big toys, or large furniture, you're going to find most townhomes a little cramped. Because they share common areas, if you have a household with more than one car, for example, you may have to wrestle other neighbors for the close-up parking spots, and there could possibly be a fee associated with extra parking etc..
4) Privacy issues is one of the main complaints of townhome owners, unless you live on an end unit, you're going to have neighbors on both sides of you, and yes you will hear them and vice versa.
Hope this helps! Good luck with your search and feel free to ask away!
This is a link to Etiwan Pointe's HOA if you want to read up on their dues, rules, etc.