westchester property tax question

Asked by housebuyer, New York Thu Aug 21, 2008

if i convert a 3 floor building (1st floor office, 2nd floor apartment, 3rd floor apartment) back to its original 1 family house status, will that increase or decrease the taxes? anyone got any ideas?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Anthony Marc…, Agent, New Rochelle, NY
Wed Dec 10, 2008
Taxes are based on valuation of the land plus its improvements. If you are increasing the value of your property by making it a 1 family home then your taxes will technically increase based on the renovation. More times than not a commercial property tax will be higher than a residential home. Either way, you will have an opportunity to file a tax grievance with the town the home is located in. Ask your attorney for a reccomendation.

Anthony Marciano, Broker
Century 21 Marciano Real Estate
0 votes
housebuyer, Home Buyer, New York
Thu Aug 21, 2008
sorry, that's westchester, ny
0 votes
Brandon Schu…, Agent, Western Springs, IL
Thu Aug 21, 2008
If you're talking about Westchester Illinois, my suggestion is to go see the Building Department and discuss this with them. Westchester has some very strick rules with this sort of thing. As a matter of fact, they have a lot of their codes on their website. Check it out. http://www.westchester-il.org/

My office is located in Westchester and we deal with this all the time.
0 votes
Susan Wesely, , Saint Paul, MN
Thu Aug 21, 2008
Best place to go would be the local county assessor's office. Sounds like you have an interesting project ahead of you - enjoy it!
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Home Buying in Westchester Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more