we want to relocate to ventura and possibly buy a property with 2 homes, near midcity..one for us (we would

Asked by Chris Carrillo, capistrano bch.,ca/mexico Thu Jan 29, 2009

have to sell our home in capistrano beach,ca) and would like a smaller house as we live in mex. 8 mos of year and a larger one for daughter and husband to grow a family.. house with guest house would do, but must have privacy. could this be found in this area, and how do i submit request? multifamily seems to be apt. or duplexes...thanks, chris
and of course we would have to sell our present house and wonder if we could carry over our tax base (prop 14) style...there is no immediate needs, just a general 2 yr. plan...and again, thanks, chris

Answers

13
Heidi Golff, Agent, Ventura, CA
Tue Apr 6, 2010
Hello again, Chris,

I am checking in with you to see if you have decided to sell in Capistrano Beach and move into mid-town Ventura. I pulled up three nice properties that fit your description, all under $680,000. I know that Prop is important to you. You may recall that I am the first realtor to answer you with proper information with regard to your tax benefits. Many came after me who weren't entirely sure until they researched; I remain as sure as I was from the day I wrote. You have this benefit coming to you.

Take care and let me know if you are ready to make this move. I remain your local Ventura luxury home, residential income, and distressed property professional!
Douglas West, , Ventura, CA
Sun Nov 29, 2009
I am recooperating from a stroke I suffered 9/3/2009 and what I am doing is emailing properties that match your needs. My associate Donna is showing properties for me.
Doug West
Heidi Golff, Agent, Ventura, CA
Wed Nov 25, 2009
Hello Chris,

Here is wishing you and your family a Happy Thanksgiving. You know where to reach me.....I trust my advice to you has been spot-on from the start.
Web Reference:  http://www.heidigolff.com
Linda Montiel, , Ventura, CA
Thu Oct 29, 2009
I received this e-mail this morning and am not sure why it is so old. Are you still looking to relocate and purchase in Ventura? Did you sell your home down south? I would be happy to help you, please let me know if you are in need of my real estate services.
Linda Montiel
Century 21
805-850-1555
Janis Calkins, , Ventura, CA
Fri May 15, 2009
Chris,
A quick phone call on your behalf and totally confirmed that "yes" you can transfer your property tax base under Prop 90. It must be your principal residence though and you must carry a homeowners exemption on your current home prior to sale. Also, 55 years and older and purchasing of equal or lesser value within two years of the sale of your original home.
Hope all this helps! Having worked at the Assessor's Office as a Principal Appraiser for many years gives me an inside track to tax questions. It also has afforded me the opportunity to really know values and how to analyze comparable properties in order to obtain my clients the best price for the property they purchase.
Please check out my website at: http://www.venturahomesforsale.org
Janis Calkins-Ventura Property Shoppe-Your Local Expert!
Web Reference:  http://www.JanisCalkins.com
Heidi Golff, Agent, Ventura, CA
Wed May 13, 2009
Hello again Chris,

Not to worry, your county most certainly cooperates in prop 60 & 90; were it not so, I wouldn't have mentioned it to you. Once again, all the Prop 60 & 90 information is listed on my website, http://www.heidigolff.com I will leave the link for you again as well.

Some counties have been bowing out of the "county-to-county" aspect of the program or talking about bowing out of it as they seek money right now and it is against their interest to allow incoming property owners from other counties to take their tax basis with them. Therefore, please check back with me or the website when it is time to make your move. I have my Senior Real Estate Specialist designation, meaning I have taken advanced study on how best to serve the 55+ community (and that includes me)!!
Janis Calkins, , Ventura, CA
Wed May 13, 2009
Chris,
I feel you need some more information here. Prop 90 (transferring your tax base to Ventura County from another County) is only available coming from certain designated counties. I advise you to call our local Assessor's office at 805 654-2181 and speak to someone to see if this would even be possible under the local ordinance. If so, it applies to a principal residence and yes you do need to be over 55 years old to transfer the base. It also can only be done one time in your lifetime.
Finding a home with guestquarters or a granny flat in Ventura is very possible. You would need to work with an agent who can be searching for this type of property for you on a regular basis. They are not always easily discernible on the MLS System.
I think you would love Ventura with our upscale downtown with wine bars, Theatre and the relatively new Watermark restaurant.
Heidi Golff, Agent, Ventura, CA
Mon Mar 2, 2009
Hello again, Chris,

I feel compelled, after reading some answers below, to respond to you again. In the City of Ventura, mid-town ESPECIALLY, code enforcement issues are most definitely an issue. The idea that it only matters if the person is not a relative and if you are collecting rent has nothing to do with code enforcement. Recently, code enforcement has been trolling the streets and alleyways in the mid town area, (notorious for "guest quarters") looking for people to turn in. This is causing a local nightmare. Many times, these issues can be resolved, but it always takes a lot of time and money. In the meantime, your relatives/tenants are forced to move out. This is one of the reasons why you should always look for a Realtor with intense LOCAL knowledge as well as experience and education on legal issues and affairs. I am sending a link to prop 60 & 90 for you to read.
Heidi Golff, Agent, Ventura, CA
Wed Feb 25, 2009
Hello Chris,

Prop 60 & 90 have replaced prop 14 and the rules are a little complicated but not impossible. Basically, the house you buy must be at or less than the price of the one you sell. The rules are all on my website, http://www.heidigolff.com. Since you are purchasing a property with guest house in Ventura's midtown area, (not an inexpensive area to make a purchase), your current property will have to sell for a good deal of money to take advantage of this benefit. There are some beautiful properties in the area that would fit your needs; These are not apartments or duplexes. When you know how much you will sell for and whether or not the prop 60 & 90 is essential to your move, call me so I know where to begin to look. Please keep in mind that every market is specific; take your real estate advice from a VENTURA realtor to protect yourself. You can shop for property on my site, too. Best of luck - call me when you are ready~
Tvandemark, , 91355
Sun Feb 15, 2009
Hi Chris,

You have some good information given below. In addition you can search the web for information on Prop 90 to transfer the assessed value of the old residence to the new residence located in a different county, if that county has elected to participate in the Prop 90 program, and it is best to contact your tax advisor.

There are homes with what you are looking for in Ventura, but how many will be available for sale when you are ready to move will be the question.

If you need further assistance, call, (661) 310-4004. I can set you up on an e-mail alert if that works for you, so you can start getting an idea of what you are looking for and how many are available. Remember, interest rates are presently bouncing around historic lows and Ventura County has finally gotten real with market prices. Let me know if you need a referral to a good agent in Capistrano Beach area too.

Living in Ventura County,
TV-Tracy Van De Mark
(661) 310-4004
Web Reference:  http://www.TVandemark.com
Tracy Lu Gui…, Agent, Camarillo, CA
Sat Jan 31, 2009
Chris,

When we search for homes on the MLS, we can plug in the ammenities for guest quarters or mother-in-law quarters. Unless, the home is zoned R-2, you won't be able to rent it out...however, you will be able to have family stay and live there without any code enforcement issues.
Marty S, , Irvine, CA
Thu Jan 29, 2009
There should be homes in that area that fit your needs. Contact a trusted Realtor in the area. I know a couple, AND I can help with mortgage pre approval. Drop me a line!

I am a mortgage broker. If I can be of service, please let me know!

Martin Smith

Precision Funding
877-238-6324 Ext 704
513-536-7184
877-238-6324 FAX
MSmith@PrecisionFundingUSA.com
http://www.PrecisionFundingUSA.com
Michele DiMa…, Agent, Ventura, CA
Thu Jan 29, 2009
Yes, homes w/guest houses do exist here in Ventura. The area will depend on how much you have in your budget. Ventura County is a reciprocal county to carry your tax base, but there are guidelines you must follow in order to accomplish this. You must have lived in your current home for at least the last 7 years and be over 55. And the home you purchase must cost less than the home you sold. More or less. There are slight exceptions to the price rule, but generally speaking, you should be buying equal to or down in price. The searching can be a bit tricky and you have to weed through the multi-family and duplexes. Just search all Single family residences, and residential income properties. That should cover it for you. If you need any help, just let me know!