we are considering purchasing a house in E. Quogue close to the airport. What is the overhead air traffic like.?

Asked by Mike Mazor, Brooklyn Heights, Brooklyn, NY Mon Sep 24, 2012

I understand some residents have begun a petition to limit air traffic. does anyone have experience with this?

Answers

8
49 West Side…, Agent, East Quogue, NY
Fri Jun 21, 2013
I've lived in East Quogue for 12 years and it's never even crossed my mind.
The Farm land in the area, small town with very little traffic, it's a great break from the city or the pretentiousness and traffic in other parts of the Hampton's but still a stones throw away when you want the pretentiousness of the Hampton's.

Also the proximity to Manhattan can't be beat, the commute is an hour twenty.....I'm in the pool or at the beach two hours before my friends in East Hampton.

It's a great cool out, fantastic break from the city.
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Mon Sep 24, 2012
Since the question is subjective, why not consider re-visiting the area more than once and at different times of day, see/hear all firsthand.....
Jim Olive, Agent, Key West, FL
Tue Jan 13, 2015
East Quogue is one of my favorite spots on Long Island...I was stationed with the Coast Guard in East Moriches for 3 years, and know the whole south shore as a result of my work there. When I retired, I seriously considered moving back to Long Island, and East Quogue was where I was headed. A warmer island won out on that decision though. That sleepy little airport never accounted for a significant amount of traffic when I lived there. If you're accustomed to the hustle and bustle of Brooklyn, East Quogue is going to be silent and sleepy to you. Here in Key West we have a few extremists who complain about jet noise...but most of us aren't bothered...I think that's probably what's going on there as well.
Lori E Palum…, Agent, Quogue, NY
Thu Jan 22, 2015
Mike, this petition is to limit air traffic in East Hampton which is approximately 25 miles away due mainly to the increase in private jet and private helicopter traffic. It has no impact in this area since there aren't any public airports nearby.
Lori E Palum…, Agent, Quogue, NY
Thu Jan 22, 2015
dploves2sell…, Agent, Woodbury, NY
Tue Jan 13, 2015
If you are concerned about the air traffic, I would visit the neighborhoods of East Quogue at different times of the day. In my opinion, living in close proximity to an airport, train station, etc. is a personal preference. I am sure you can find additional information online regarding complaints and petitions.
It's extremely rare to see or hear an airplane in this part of the Hamptons. The 106th Airborne is located in Westhampton Beach. I've lived in the area for 20+ years, and I can literally count the times I've been distracted by a plane, train or helicopter.
Flag Thu Jan 22, 2015
Aaron Sacks, Agent, Westhampton Beach, NY
Thu Mar 6, 2014
Hello Mike,

I've lived in East Quogue for over 40 years and my family has lived here for over 100 years so I am very familiar with area.

Overhead air traffic is not noticeable as there are only a few homes in the landing/takeoff flight path. Most of the flight path is over farmland.

The major complaint about the airport noise comes from when the Air National Guard has planes on the tarmac waiting for take off or doing other training activities. So those that live in the most northern part of East Quogue along with some parts of northern Quogue would have the issue. The rest of East Quogue doesn't even hear it. In addition because this is an Guard Base this noise is typically only produced maybe once a month during drill weekend.

I would invite you to come visit our beautiful town and contact a local agent like myself to show you the areas around the airport so as to quell your concern.
First Last, , 90002
Tue Sep 25, 2012
Since residents have started a petition, that may be all you need to know. Whoever is head of the petition drive will gladly tell you all about it--you might have trouble get away once they get started!

Another thing to look at is comparative house prices. Houses with the most noise are more likely to look like bargains. People who live near airports pay less for their house than those in quieter areas, then once they move in, they may decide to complain about the noise.

Also--it's not afternoon noise that may be the biggest problem. Watch for early morning noise that can awaken you, and seasonal variation in noise patterns. Weather will affect how planes land on any given day.

Karla Harby
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Rutenberg Realty
New York NY
212 688 1000 x146