wanting to purchase an unrestricted lot in the areas surrounding San Anselmo

Asked by Raine Chism, San Anselmo, CA Thu Jul 11, 2013

I've been eyeing many lots for sale in San Anselmo, Fairfax and surroundings. Are most lots restricted and do they come with a builder you are required to use? My husband and I are looking at the possibility of a modern prefab home or small cabin and don't know if that is a viable option or not. Any info would be super appreciated!

Answers

1
Liz Williamson Williamson’s answer
Liz Williams…, Agent, Mill Valley, CA
Thu Jul 11, 2013
Hi Raine,
There is no such thing as "unrestricted lots" The term is "zoned" meaning what is the lot and area zoned for? There are good reasons for a lot and any property, having restrictions. It protects the surrounding neighbors from having a bar in the middle of a neighborhood.. The best thing is to go to planning in The City of San Anselmo to find out what a lot is zoned for and what the zone parameters are first.
As far as a builder coming with a property, the closest thing is a lot may have "approved" plans for a home and a builder may have done the plans and will build the home for you.
For a pre-fab homes you would need to go a pre-fab company, like Bluhomes.com to find out what the necessary lot specs are first. Pre-fab homes are great however, they work best on level lots which you probably know, a rarity in Marin County. None of these options by the way, are inexpensive! They take additional time and money. If you can, talk to someone in planning and having them take you through the steps of what it would take to build a home on a vacant lot. This way you know what you are getting yourself into first.
Liz