1st time home buyers looking at buying a 160 yr old beautiful house. What are the most important things to check out and be tuned into?

Asked by Housebuyingnewbie, Ohio City, CO Sun Jan 9, 2011

Answers

4
Todd Spiller, Agent, Fort Collins, CO
Wed Jan 12, 2011
Foundation, drainage, insulation, electrical, sewer line, mold, framing, windows, plumbing, utility bills, furnace, hot water heater, maintenance history, asbestos, cost of repairing or replacing above, cost to insure, and lender issues.
Brian Burke, Agent, Highlands Ranch, CO
Sun Jan 9, 2011
the home, check it out and do a fine inspection.
Brian
Maggie Hawk, Agent, New Smyrna Beach, FL
Sun Jan 9, 2011
Newbie,
If you're financing the home, obtaining insurance for a home that age could be difficult, so you may want to talk to some insurance agents before making an offer.

If you go forward with an offer, you'll definitely want a full home inspection, as well. You want to make sure that the structure is sound.

Older homes are beautiful, and I have a great deal of respect for those who choose to preserve our history. However, owning an older home can also be an expensive undertaking, and I say this as someone who grew up in a home that was built in 1910.

A 160-year-old house is not a typical home for a first-time Buyer. It can be costly to own and maintain. I just want to make sure that you're going into this with your eyes open.

Please work with a Buyer's agent on your purchase--someone who will be working to protect your interests, and will guide you through the process. Good luck with your purchase.

Warm regards,
Maggie Hawk, REALTOR
Watson Realty Corp.
Jaryd Takushi, Agent, Denver, CO
Sun Jan 9, 2011
In my opinion the important thing to check out is the bones of the house. I would also suggest having your attorney or Realtor help you review the history and title insurance.