some properties say that the foundation is a crawl, but then they also say that they have a basement. I am confused is this even possible?

Asked by Pnikkila, Royal Oak, MI Thu Dec 27, 2012

--
This question was asked from this property: http://=www.trulia.com/property/3104630764-522-Hawthorn-Ave-Royal-O… target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://www.trulia.com/property/3104630764-522-Hawthorn-Ave-R…

Answers

7
Sam Elias, Agent, Rochester, MI
Tue Jun 25, 2013
It is possible to have a double or triple foundation when there has been an addition or additions on the home.
Russ Ravary, Agent, Commerce Township, MI
Fri Mar 1, 2013
There might be a crawl space under part of a house and a basement under another part. Many additions have crawl spaces
Nancy Robins…, Agent, Royal Oak, MI
Mon Dec 31, 2012
I have shown this home ( actually three times) and the foundation is a basement, there is a root celler under the front porch, It is not a crawl, I lterally opened the door and turned my flashlight from my iphone on. It is the same height as the basement which is full height for its age. 100% not a crawl.

A crawl, is just that you littlerally have to crawl into the spece. Crawls can be as high as four feet but are typically 3 to 2 1/2 feet deep.

A Michigan Basement has a dirt floor and is a generally only under a small portion of the home. They ahve a "Silence of the Lambs" feel to them .

An Arts and Crafts home like the one on Hawthorn typically have a 6/12 foot tall basement. Many 1900-1930 homes, (this is the time span) have a 7 foot high basement. And some have been " dug down" to give more height than 7 feet of head room .

There are wide varieties of foundations and many different combinations. This home on Hawtorn only has a 6/12 foot tall basement.

And BTW, Michelle, there is no family room in this house. The first floor has: a living room, dining room , kitchen and bath. Second floor: three bedrooms and a vintage sleeping porch turned into a really cute study.

Nancy Robinson #1 Realtor Royal Oak 2009- 2012! Century 21 Town and Country. 248 556 7400
Michelle Pay…, Agent, Birmingham, MI
Sat Dec 29, 2012
I was in that property and it does have both a crawl and a basement. The family room is on the crawl and the rest of the home has a full basement.
Pam Bava, Agent, Rochester, MI
Thu Dec 27, 2012
Without seeing the home I would have to say because of the age of the home, built in 1919, the property probably has what is called a Michigan basement. It is bigger then a crawl but not quite a deep as a regular basement to stand up in. Or some parts you are able to stand in and other parts of the basement you cannot.
Andrew Wagon…, Agent, Royal Oak, MI
Thu Dec 27, 2012
Good Question, most times when I see this it normally means there may be both. This can happen as the result of say an addition or new construction on a house that already had a basement.

I have seen this a few times.

I hope this helped you. If you or anyone you know would like further help, I would be more than happy to help.
Karen Paytas, Agent, Clinton Twp, MI
Thu Dec 27, 2012
The home on Hawthorn is built on a basement. Sometimes if a home has had a family room added on it will be on a crawl space and the original home is on a basment. That is why you'll get both on the listing information.

I hope this helps!

Happy Holidays!

Karen Paytas, GRI, CMS
Real Living Kee Realty
586-709-8465
kpaytas@mirealsource.com