seems there is a reluctance by realtors on here to recommend Coosaw Creek Country Club in North Charleston. Is there something a buyer should be?

Asked by Tammy, North Charleston, SC Fri Sep 11, 2009

aware of when considering homes in this neighboorhood?

Answers

8
Parkerkarenn, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Wed Mar 22, 2017
I used to live in Coosaw Creek on Wildwood Landing. Wonderful gated, golf course community, clubhouse boasts a resident Chef, and the community pool is nice. If I could pick up the neighborhood and move it to Mount Pleasant I would. I currently live in Dunes West for the past ten years.

The plus side is the regime is lower but the real kicker is property tax. My tax bill in Coosaw was triple the cost than Dunes West. Dunes West in Mount Pleasant has better amentities at a better price with a nicer surrounding area.

If you are truly looking at a golf course community consider Dunes West.
Pslagle, Home Buyer, North Charleston, SC
Thu Oct 20, 2016
I have lived in Coosaw Creek for almost 14 years so I believe I am in a position to project a close opinion on the neighborhood. When we first arrived, Coosaw was owned by a developer who once all the lots were sold opted to move on to another venture. The homeowners opted to buy the club and all its wonderful amenities All the homes in Coosaw are custom built homes, not tract housing. It is a gated golf community and Country Club. I have lived in several communities over the years in the Midwest and East Coast and believe Coosaw takes the prize for its overall amenities and diverse group of people from all races, creeds and ages. It is a close knit community that welcomes you almost immediately with open arms and stands ready to help in a time of need. The lawns are well manicured and the HOA oversight insures that the community maintains the highest level of decor. Coosaw golf is phenomenal and for the non golfers, there are tennis and pickle ball courts, and a beautiful swimming pool. One of the features I love about Coosaw is that it has individuals of all ages, including young families with children. Everyone who opts to live in Coosaw is automatically a Country Club member with access to unlimited golf, tennis, swimming pool and club house activities. The club house restaurant provides a variety of dining options six days a week. As with living in any Country Club environment, there are club and HOA fees but I find Coosaw's fees to be quite reasonable given all the wonderful amenities. I love the easy access to Charleston airport and Tanger Outlets as well as grocery stores and restaurants. We love our life here in Coosaw and would highly recommend it to anyone. I feel like we live in paradise and are on vacation 365 days a year!
Markfinkenbi…, Home Buyer,
Mon Aug 18, 2014
My wife and I are shopping in the Charleston area for a home and saw some nice potential places at Coosaw. Our realtor told us about the $4500 fee to the HOA/Club at closing, the $300 a month manditory club membership, requirements to spend money for food at the club and some other fees. Don't know how the management there railroaded that all through, but we will look elsewhere. We will be looking elsewhere because the place isn't worth the money and those practices will certainly hurt property values.
Maureen Cody, , Charleston, SC
Mon Apr 30, 2012
Dear Tammy,

I am not sure where the reluctance is stemming from for Coosaw Creek or any other development.

I create reports for the entire MLS area that my buyer is interested for the home matching their criteria. One of the items I coach them to consider is the HOA and Regime fees. I let them make the decision as to whether to have me schedule a showing for a home....... I avoid making my own recommendations.

Buyers weigh location, price & features, fees...... different factors effect decisions. Some buyers are not concerned with fees and more concerned about location.... so it's really up to the Buyer.

Coosaw Creek is worth looking at, if it meets the buyer's needs.

Maureen Cody
The Keys To Charleston LLC
Jeff Bowers, Agent, North Charleston, SC
Tue Feb 16, 2010
Coosaw Creek is a fine neighborhood. I would recommend it to anyone but they need to be aware of the fees that they will be required to pay for HOA and club fees. This is one of the nicest neighborhoods in the North area.
Web Reference:  http://www.JeffBowers.com
Charleston R…, , Goose Creek, SC
Sat Oct 31, 2009
Often, this can be to ignorance or unfamiliarity. Coosaw Creek is a one of a kind country club, gated community. The higher HOA fees are reflected in the quality of amenities available. There is a required social membership fee to the country club. Since Patriots Pkwy has opened up, which is a throughfare connecting Ashley Phosphate to Ladson Rd that runs in front of Coosaw, residents of Coosaw Creek and Wescott have experienced a huge improvement in traffic conditions since they can bypass Dorchester Rd. You should see for yourself and drive between 6:30-8:30am and 4:30-6:30pm. It will depend on what direction you are coming from. Coming up Dorchester Rd towards Coosaw can be a bear during evening traffic. Going down Dorchester Rd towards the interstate in the morning is too. It will also depend on your normal drive times and direction. If you don't normally leave the house during these times or leave in opposing direction, it won't be an issue. You should also know that there is part of Coosaw Creek that is located in Charleston County and that side can be unfavorable if you have school age children. Also, taxes are going to be higher in this corridor (not just Coosaw) because there are overlapping jurisdictions (Dorchester County and City of N. Chas) and you pay property taxes to both. Depending on where you are coming from, i.e. (if you are coming from NE) they will still be less. Hope that helps!
Renee Shelley, , Charleston, SC
Tue Sep 29, 2009
Coosaw Creek is a beautiful neighborhood. My reluctance to recommend this neighborhood would be the higher than usual HOA fees and the high traffic in this area. I often recommend that buyers that choose to buy a home on that section of Dorchester Road Take a field trip to the area at high traffic times. Also, I ask them to do a trial run to their place of employment at the exact time they would be driving, in the morning and in the evening.
no, , Charleston, SC
Fri Sep 11, 2009
Tammy,

Your question is reasonable, but most Realtors© are hesitant to recommend an area because later down the road some buyer's might decide that the recommendation was misrepresented and place us at fault. I live near that neighborhood and it's beautiful, but right now there are a bounty of homes for sale, so perhaps this is why someone won't offer an opinion about that particular neighborhood. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to call or email me or my partner.

Melinda Wilferd & Tana Austin, Realtors®
Melinda (Cell) 843-327-1991 and Tana (Cell) 843-566-3092
Email: info@locatecharlestonhomes.com
Website: http://locatecharlestonhomes.com/
AgentOwned Realty Park Circle
1081 E. Montague
Charleston, SC 29405