sale preparations

Asked by erpsamimy, Fairhaven, MA Fri Feb 15, 2013

thinking of selling a home near the water off sconticut neck. it's been rented for 5 years and so we have not been in control of keeping the yard and inside ship shape (for ex, renter brought in a dog without ever telling us). do you advise selling as is, with poss discount for buyer or spending our own $ to repaint, power wash, replace, etc... thank you, es

Answers

8
Elizabeth Si…, Agent, New Bedford, MA
Fri Feb 15, 2013
I recommend putting a little bit of work into it. I can't tell you how many great homes I've seen passed up because the buyer was turned off by a "smell" or unkempt rooms that a seller didn't want to address. Some buyers may expect a deep discount if they come across a house like this. In my opinion, your better off doing some freshening up prior to putting this on the market to ensure not only a quicker sale, but a higher purchase price. Best of Luck.
Heath Coker, Agent, Falmouth, MA
Wed Feb 27, 2013
Hi Erpsamimy,

I would contact a local real estate professional to help with this answer and to save time and money.
(Not me, I'm on the Cape, but I can help you choose a local pro if you want help doing so.)

A local pro will know the buyers looking in the area and their expectations.

I would also get some extimates for the larger projects.
Then you'll know expense vs. return - with the input of your local real estate pro.
And if you choose not to do the work, you will know ahead of time what the buyer will need to spend to make it nice.

(Please note: when you choose an answer as a Best Answer, or at least give a thumbs up, it helps those who answer questions here.)
Annette Law…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Fri Feb 15, 2013
Sammy,
You've received exceptional guidance by agents who truly know the business.
Clean and Clean.
-
The only fragrance should be chocolate chip cookies in the oven.
-
Spend the $3,000 to make the home sparkle and smell right, and you will multiply the return on the investment in cleaning and cleaning. If you said to yourself, "The carpet is good enough" you are listening to the wrong voice. Clean and cleaner.
-
Now, if you have no budget to clean, then a pro-active concession to the right buyer could get the home sold at a discount. That discount will be multiples of $3,000.

Best of success to you,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Reamx Realtec Group
Palm Harbor, FL
727.420.4041
http://RealEstateMadeEZ.us
Movie Tour
http://youtu.be/g1H-_ny-Mnk
Jill Henesey, Agent, New Bedford, MA
Fri Feb 15, 2013
Good morning
As a local agent, i would highly recomend cleaning the property, especially if the tenant had a pet as well as a few touchups. Paint can make a huge difference in the staging of the home as well as making the home look feel and smell better. I would be more than happy , as a local agent, to meet with you and review your property and help you in any way that I can. I also have a staging professional that I wofk with and I would be happy to bring her along with me. As part of my services to my clients I pay for her consultaion with you. Please feel free to contact me directly at 508-965-5920. Best wishes
Roland Vinya…, Agent, Sprakers, NY
Fri Feb 15, 2013
My bet is that you will profit more by doing the work. From what I have witnessed, those that have property needing specific work and discount them accordingly, find buyers who want it discounted again for the work that needs to be done. That's not rational, but has been the case in my experience. And, a property that is "just so" brings a premium over something kept in good, but average condition.
Pat Waldron, Agent, Mattapoisett, MA
Fri Feb 15, 2013
Sometimes a little cosmetic fixing up and cleaning will help to sell quicker. Especially a house near the water. Would be happy to take a look at the property for you and give you my opinion.
Please contact me directly. I am familiar w/Sconticut Neck area.

Pat Waldron
Jack Conway & Co., Mattapoisett
508-737-6353
Email pwaldron@jackconway.com
My NC Homes…, Agent, Chapel Hill, NC
Fri Feb 15, 2013
I'd advise spending the money and getting the home looking good. If the home doesn't show well, despite discounting the price to reflect the condition you're going to get beaten up even more and worse just plain lose potential buyers who have no interest is dealing with what is essentially your mess.

People who buy as is tend to be extreme bargain hunters. At an minimum you should make sure the floor coverings look good, if this means installing new carpeting or having the hardwood floors refinished , then do it. The interior and exterior need to should be freshly painted or stained as necessary. The yard cleaned up, the entire house cleaned. All doors and windows should open and close properly. It may be you would be well advised to put in new appliances, I have no way of knowing. I would suggest finding a broker to work with in your area and asking them to come and preview the property and tell you what you need to do and what the house would be worth fixed up.

Good Luck.
Josh Barnett, Agent, Carney, OK
Fri Feb 15, 2013
You need to make any home you are selling the best home in the neighborhood if you will be re-selling to owner occupants. If you are selling to a fellow investor, discounting the price will be your best bet.

Good Luck