renting or owning

Asked by George Ruiz, Sat Sep 21, 2013

we are moving to california next year, probably rancho santa fe, mosly because the great schools and safety, we have twin girls who will be 9, they love tennis. our main dilemma is between renting for a year to see if we love the area or buying, any suggestions? Also I would not mind suggestions for alternative communities.

Answers

15
Don Clark Re…, Agent, Del Mar, CA
Fri Jul 10, 2015
I have a great large map of RSF that shows all of the communities in the area it is made by my friends at First American Title. There are 38 communities in the 92067 zip. 9 in the 92127 and 6 in the 92130.

I can send this map to you if you contact me and give me your mailing address. Great overview color coded.

Best

Don Clark
858 997-3859
propertymover@gmail.com
Don Clark Re…, Agent, Del Mar, CA
Fri Jul 10, 2015
RSF Covenant has a tennis club and living in the 92067 zip code should get you into the RSF Covenant schools. My daughter went to the Covenant school. Rent or buy if your in the Covenant your entitled to the schools, trail system and to join the tennis and riding club. Great community center. I had a part in helping to raise money for the development of that facility.

I can help when you need additional help. I lived in RSF Covenant for 12 years.

Best Regards

Don Clark
858 997-3859
Jay Becker S…, Agent, La Jolla, CA
Wed Jun 10, 2015
HI and congratulations in selecting one of the most sought out luxury communities in San Diego.

Inventory is limited for both rental and for sale inventory, however I am happy to offer some off market alternatives if you are still looking.

?Let me know if I can be of assistance.

Jay Becker- Director Luxury & Coastal Group / Agent 25 yrs. licensed

Pacific Sotheby's International Realty

Office: 858.412.4200 ext.7
Direct: 858.222.4321
Cel: 858.335.4235
Shelley Linde, Agent, Rancho Santa Fe, CA
Tue May 19, 2015
I have a rental coming up shortly in the Ranch but since this was written in 2013 my guess is you are all settled in and happy!
Colleen T. S…, Agent, Rancho Santa Fe, CA
Mon Oct 28, 2013
I have lived in the community since 1968 and went to the RSF school. I now have a K and 2nd grader in the school. We are projecting the market to continue to increase at a rate of 4-5%. If you would like to call me I will give you some more information and my email address.

Steven Sansone
Sansone Real Estate Group.
858.405.5530
JR Thrasher, Agent, San Diego, CA
Tue Sep 24, 2013
Trulia and Forbes just published an article of the top ten cities where owning is cheaper than renting. San Diego came in at #6 on the list with owning being 21% cheaper than renting. It was also mentioned that owning will be cheaper than renting until interest rates hit 7.3%.

That being said, interest rates are going up, the little dip we experienced lately won’t last long and rates are sure to climb back up.

I would suggest a six month lease with an option to buy. If you like the house you are renting then you can stay, six months is long enough to get acquainted with the area and explore other areas you might be interested in. i just helped a friend do this exact thing.

There are currently 33 homes for rent in Rancho Santa Fe. I'll put a link to the list of homes in the web reference below. Another area I think might work for you is Avira in Carlsbad. Good location, good schools, great community with lots of amenities.

J.R. Thrasher
http://www.SanDiegoRealEstateVeterans.com
619-929-0105
Alex Greer, , California
Mon Sep 23, 2013
Given the current intrest rates, it is always cheaper to buy a home rather then rent that same home.

Do you have a real estate agent?

Have you been pre-approved for a loan?
Selich Borns…, Agent, Rancho Santa Fe, CA
Mon Sep 23, 2013
Hi, I'm an agent in the Village of RSF. I work lot's of buyers and specialize in the Ranch.
I have had out of the area client's tell me time and time again, that they wish they would of rented first, beacuse there are so many communities with in RSF and by just coming to vist a few times does not give you enough of time to figure out the whole area and the best fit.
There are rentals in all the different communites, the bridges, Cielo, Fairbanks, Covenant and the Crosby.
I would recommend you rent unless you feel you have a pretty good handel on the community and you feel you are able to choose the right one that fits your family. There are also are two schools in the Ranch and it depends on which community you live in, both are great.
If you are intrested I can send you some active rentals in the RSF area.
If you have any questions about school or the differences in each community, I'm more than happy to answer them for you.
Cheers,
Bree
Kari Shea, Agent, San Diego, CA
Mon Sep 23, 2013

we responded in length to your other post. Let us know if you need any further information.

Mark & Kari Shea
Shea Real Estate
National Association of Realtors
CA BRE License 01713506
Maureen Bye…, Agent, Oceanside, CA
Sun Sep 22, 2013
Renting for a year is a good idea if you are not certain that you want to stay in the area and/or purchase but it is expensive to pay your landlords monthly mortgage payment instead of your own!! Prices and interest rates are increasing since 2012. Also, that there are several really great areas with amenities depending on your price range, sphere of influence and BEST location to fwy, shopping, medical, work, gym, etc. contact Maureen to discuss and provide legit inventory for lease, for sale, and lenders also..
Web Reference:  http://www.coastal.biz
Don Clark Re…, Agent, Del Mar, CA
Sun Sep 22, 2013
Well, The Covenant school is great my daughter attended!

The Covenant has a really nice tennis club and a wonderful community center where they have activities for kids and families. It is just behind the RSF Association offices.

Fairbanks Ranch is the best value right now with great schools close by too. Private religious schools are blocks away if prefer. Safe and gated Fairbanks Ranch is a guarded community of luxury estate homes. I really love this area.

As far as renting vs. buying I feel that if you want to take advantage of the mortgage interest deduction you may want to buy, if not and your not sure you want to stay, renting is a good idea. Just let me know what your budget is and I can give you my input on the best deal going for great schools, beautiful family homes with tennis for your girls in a safe neighborhood.

Best to you.

Don Clark
858 997-3859
Steven Ornel…, Agent, Fremont, CA
Sun Sep 22, 2013
Hi Wealth53,

Trulia just recently released a new on-line Rent vs Buy Calculator that might be of interest to you.
http://www.trulia.com/rent_vs_buy/

No matter what the calculator generates, I would advise you sit down with a tax professional to review your findings and personal financial situation.

Given you are looking to possibly buy next year makes things more difficult since the interest rate for any financing is a shot in the dark.

-Steve
Terry Bell, Agent, Santa Rosa, CA
Sat Sep 21, 2013
You don't say whether you now have a home to sell or where you will be moving from. If you will be selling your home, you should ask your agent for a referral to an agent in the area that you're interested in so that you can get educated about your options for buying vs renting. Right now the housing markets are on their way up, and you should be able to discuss with a realtor in that area whether you are better off getting in with lower interest rates now, or wait and see what happens.!
Media Fettin…, Agent, San Diego, CA
Sat Sep 21, 2013

In San Diego County, renting costs about the same monthly as does owning, except that the money is not going toward your own equity. However, since it sounds like you'll be moving here and may not be familiar with all the communities, renting for several months before deciding on a community might be a good idea. Rancho Santa Fe does have great schools, as well as La Jolla, Rancho Bernardo, and Poway. Please feel free to contact me anytime for additional guidance.

Warm Regards,

Media Fettinger
Century 21 Award
MFettinger@century21award.com
Miriam Diaz, Agent, Chula Vista, CA
Sat Sep 21, 2013
Rancho Santa Fe is a great area. However, rentals are very expensive. I recommend that if you are going to pay a high rent you will be better off purchasing a house and you can always sell later if you decide that you don't like the area. Carlsbad is also a very nice area.