Question removed

Asked by edward, Orlando Beach, New Smyrna Beach, FL Wed Aug 20, 2008

This question was removed by its author.

Answers

3
Jonathan Dal…, Agent, Glendale, AZ
Wed Aug 20, 2008
Yes and no. As I discussed during a panel discussion at the Inman Real Estate Connect conference, it hinges almost exclusively on the continued strength of the Canadian dollar and weakness in the American dollar.

Even with the recent strength in the American dollar (now running around $1 to $1.06 CAD), I'm still seeing Canadians registering to search for properties on my website. After all, $1.06 still is better than the $1.20 to which they've become accustomed over time. Some will remember back to last fall when the USD was worth less than the Canadian dollar but most seem to have some sort of perspective.

Speaking of perspective, it's worth keeping in mind that the Canadian government as a rule would prefer the CAD not be at parity to the USD as it hurts exports. So what does that leave you? A strengthening US dollar and currency from a country where the government would prefer a little less relative strength.

The trend is continuing but the window could be closing dependent on whether the US dollar rally holdsand whether the Canadian dollar can retain it's strength.
Maria Morton, Agent, Kansas City, MO
Wed Aug 20, 2008
As long as Canadians want to come south for some sun and the US continues to have a buyer's market, I imagine that those Canadians who can afford a second home will continue to buy.
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Wed Aug 20, 2008
Good Afternoon Jody,

It will as long as the Canadian dollar remains strong, their buying power here in the USA is greater than back home in Canada. And with the prices here beong so low it only bolsters there opportunity for a greater deal.
Web Reference:  http://www.ScottSellsNH.com