Question removed

Asked by Hlep, Los Angeles, CA Wed Dec 12, 2012

This question was removed by its author.

Answers

4
Kawain Payne, Agent, Seal Beach, CA
Wed Dec 12, 2012
Unless you live in some kind of a rent control area, the owner may increase the rent. There is nothing illegal about that. Increases usually occur at the lease renewal if the landlord so chooses.

You should be haopy your rent stayed the same for 20 years. I can tell you that is unheard of.

Kawain Payne, Realtor
Douglas Perez, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Wed Dec 12, 2012
If you live in a property that is 2 or more units and built before 1978 within City of L.A. rent control, then it's not legal.

Double check this with http://lahd.lacity.org

Why don't you try to buy your own property ? Rates are very low and down payments too.

Call me to help you.

Douglas Perez
(213) 375-8741
Cindy Davis, Agent, San Diego, CA
Wed Dec 12, 2012
You need to see what your original lease says. After 20 years, I would think you were due for an increase! Although I'm sure it's a shock to your system, a $100/month increase after that length of time does not strike me as being unreasonable.
Team Mork, , Portland, OR
Wed Dec 12, 2012
It depends on what type of lease you have .
Currently I have a month to month rental agreement. The owner said he could keep my rent at $600 if I signed a 6 month lease, otherwise I would have to pay $800 for a month to month.
Flag Wed Dec 12, 2012