Question removed

Asked by Jessie, NY, Fri Sep 28, 2012

This question was removed by its author.

Answers

9
Martina Ryan, Agent, Flushing, NY
Sun Sep 30, 2012
There is certainly no harm in asking, however your offer was already accepted so now you will have to backtrack. Discuss with your Realtor & see if there is any flexibility. Good luck!
Thomas Brady, Agent, Plainview, NY
Sun Sep 30, 2012
Hi Jennifer, I might have an idea for you. E-mail me the price and address if you get the chance. I'm not trying to insert myself into your deal, just an idea that might help a little but I don't want to post it here.
Tom Brady SFR, e-Pro, SRES, GREEN
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Notary Public, Ret. NYPD Lt.
631-682-8660
Tom@BradyFamilyRealty.com
http://www.BradyFamilyRealty.com
"We treat you like family!"
Charles Rutenberg Realty, Inc.
255 Executive Plaza - Suite 104
Plainview, New York 11803
Jessie, Other Pro, NY,
Sat Sep 29, 2012
Thanks so much for all your input and advice.

Unfortunately I don't have an agent representing me, I found the house on homes.com and contacted the seller's agent directly.

The sellers refuse to make any repairs or cover a part of the repair cost. They insist on selling the house as is. The estimated repair cost for all of the items indicated in the inspection report is around $3,500.

We haven't signed the contact yet, but I also don't want to walk away at this point.
Thomas Brady, Agent, Plainview, NY
Fri Sep 28, 2012
Hi Jennifer, I assume that by your question you didn't work with a buyer's agent. It's in situations like this that they can prove particularly valuable, especially when the seller is paying their commission. I'm assuming the termite damage is not from an active infestation, how bad is the damage? You can ask to have them to lower the price slighlty, or repair some items, but they are under no obligation to do so, just as you should be under no obligation to continue with the deal. Keep in mind though, you paid the inspector to find things wrong; and he did, the perfect house doesn't exist. If I had a home inspect like this and it wasn't a fairly new home I'd be pretty happy with the results. If it is in an area that is a seller's market you will have little leverage, if it's in an area where you can find another suitable home tomorrow than you should be able to get them to at least meet you half way. But remember their is no garantee the next home will inspect any better. Good luck.
Tom Brady SFR, e-PRO, SRES, GREEN, BPOR
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Notary Public, Retired N.Y.P.D. Lt.
631-682-8660
Tom@BradyFamilyRealty.com
http://www.BradyFamilyRealty.com
"We treat you like family!"
Charles Rutenberg Realty, Inc.
255 Executive Drive - Suite 104
Plainview, New York 11803
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Fri Sep 28, 2012
Your agent should be advising you...was the propery priced to reflect it's condition/necessary repairs. You can ask for any repairs you wish, however the sellers can choose not to fix any of the items that need mending....
William Tong, Agent, Arcadia, CA
Fri Sep 28, 2012
Hi Jennifer!

You can ask for whatever you want. Just remember that the sellers have no obligation to do anything. However, they are obligated to fully disclose the truth and all material facts with the property.

You are not being unreasonable to ask the seller to cover some of the repair costs. You should have a solid Realtor negotiating on your behalf. Ask for a price reduction if the seller refuses to pay for any costs. Negotiate. It's a part of the process. If the seller is not going to work with you and it's just not worth the trouble, walk away and find another home.

I'd appreciate it if you chose my answer as the "best" :D

-William
310-256-3729
DRE #01903501
GoldenLandInc.com
Golden Land Investments & Financial, Inc.
Jessie, Other Pro, NY,
Fri Sep 28, 2012
The seller's agent said that the sellers are not willing to repair any of the items listed in the inspection report and they are selling the house as-is. We offered a price that's 3% below the listing price and the seller has accepted the offer.

Ideally I would like the sellers to make the repairs if possible; however if they are not willing to do so, I would like to see if they could at least cover some of the costs.
Shaukatali K…, Agent, Katy, TX
Fri Sep 28, 2012
Any cosmetics items I would ask for it to be compensated if you can.
But the items that require and is a safety issue must be fixed.
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Fri Sep 28, 2012
Did the LISTING PRICE take these things into consideration?
What did the CMA that your Realtor did, say about these things?
Do you think that the costs of repairs should automatically be deducted from the LISTING PRICE?
Were you planning on Offering the full LISTING PRICE?