Question removed

Asked by M. R., Mississippi Sat Jun 21, 2008

This question was removed by its author.

Answers

2
Bruce Lynn, Agent, Coppell, TX
Sun Jun 22, 2008
Unfortunately I think there is no real good way to do this. JD Power does a satisfaction survey, but to me it is not any real help. They rank all builders together. However if you want to build under $100,000 there might be 2-3 builders. If you want to builder $100-$200,000 there might be 3 more, and if you want to builder $200-$300,0000 there might be 3 different ones. So if the builder in the first group is ranked highest, but you're not building or buying in their price range, to me it really doesn't matter. You can also check the BBB or the Texas Residental Construction Comission, but my guess is you won't really get an objective view from there. They'll mostly deal with dissatisfied clients versus a balance. I think the best place to start is make a list of the neighborhoods you want to live. Then make a list of the builders building in those neighborhoods. Then drive the neighborhoods in the evening just after work or on Saturday or Sunday. Ask the neigbhors. They'll give you all kind of very good and specific information. Normally much better and much different than any realtor can give you. They often know the very details of very specific problems that realtors might not know about if they don't live in the community. Things like we're all mad as early residents because now the builder is including sprinkler systems and full sod. None of us got that. Then you know to ask the builder to include it in your purchase, in case they don't. Always use a realtor to help with your purchase. Things can and do go wrong in the contract, building, financing, and closing process so it is nice to have an experienced agent at your side when things do go wrong. There is typically no cost to you to do this and often you can get a much better deal and much better house built just because you have a realtor working with you. Good luck and have fun with your purchase.
Web Reference:  http://www.teamlynn.com
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Sat Jun 21, 2008
Try the BBB, or google determine if there has been any problems filed against the builder. Also drive thru the area ask the residence there. http://www.lynn911.com