Question removed

Asked by Elizabeth, Seattle, WA Fri Jun 29, 2012

This question was removed by its author.

Answers

9
Don Dutton, Agent, Puyallup, WA
Fri Jun 29, 2012
Something isn't adding up here Elizabeth. I can't imagine a Realtor that deliberately gets in the way of their buyer's desire unless she feels strongly that your decision is uniformed and a big mistake. I actually applaud that since all too often agents think about commission more that offering counseling that would help buyers make a sound homebuying decision.

It looks like you've narrowed down the neighborhoods you want. You're obviously searching in Trulia so you have great neighborhood statistics and demographics at your fingertips. If you study those listings you like more closely on Trulia you can quickly know more about the neighborhoods than your agent. Let her know you've done that. Then direct her to write offers for you. If she refuses contact the listing agent or the Trulia Pro shown in the listing detail. Believe me, they will not be overprotective. If you're comfortable going solo this would be an answer. Otherwise, you can get another Realtor referral from someone you know.

Bobbie (Petr…, Agent, Puyallup, WA
Fri Jun 29, 2012
Good morning Elizabeth,
Sometimes brokers get trapped in the space between giving advice and being decision makers-it sounds like you might be experiencing the latter.
It is important for buyers and sellers to make informed decisions-it is not right for brokers to get in the way of those decisions (as long as the clients' decisions are legal and ethical)
We brokers need to stay in touch with our service of counsel while balancing our clients desires.
When I was new to the business, I went to my manager with a burdensome concern that my buyer was in love with a house that was in a rougher location and it had a "unique" floor plan...but my buyer loved it. My manager's response was simple...he asked me if I was going to live there with them. Flustered, I stammered, "of course not".....My manager smiled and said, "exactly".
I then understood my role to be advisor and a resource but not the decision maker. I ended up expressing to my buyer, the "uniqueness" of the home so he would understand that if/when he ever wanted to sell it, that there might be challenges and then we wrote up.....he was very happy to get the home that he loved and I was very happy to not have been a hinderance to that end.
Having said all that, I recommmend that you two have a chat and your remind her that this is about you and what you want.
Happy Home Searching,
Bobbie
Eric Critten…, Agent, Lakewood, WA
Fri Jun 29, 2012
Elizabeth,
Sounds like you need to get a new agent.
Mary Richard, Agent, Tacoma, WA
Fri Jun 29, 2012
Hi Elizabeth,

Your agent is working for you. She needs to listen to you. I would be happy to sit down and talk with

you and help you find that dream home you are looking for. Have you let your agent know how you

feel about what she is doing? Wish you the best of luck finding your Dream Home!

Mary
Brian Thayer, Agent, University Place, WA
Fri Jun 29, 2012
Elizabeth,
Sounds like your agent isn't getting it...
If you are going to interview agents to help you purchase a home, I would be happy to sit down with you and talk about how I help folks like yourself buy homes.
Brian Thayer
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Fri Jun 29, 2012
I'm going to have to agree with you:

Listening is the #1 attribute for a Realtor.

Good luck and may God bless
Alain Picard, Agent, Puyallup, WA
Fri Jun 29, 2012
If you want to buy in a certain area for a certain price then that's what your realtor should be helping you do. When I have a client I give them exactly what they want since it is going to be their house. If you give me a call I can let you know some things that you can tell your Realtor. 253-861-7386
Kary Krismer, Agent, Renton, WA
Fri Jun 29, 2012
Having a good fit is important. And that means giving you advice, not controlling your life!

Just as an example, in another thread I mentioned liking houses built in the 70s. Some clients like new construction. If that's what they like, I'll try to find them the best new construction I can find, because that's what will make them happy.

If you haven't signed a buyer's agency agreement with an agent, and are not in contract on a property, you should be fairly free to change agents. There is the issue of procuring cause on properties you might have seen, but that's another can of worms your new agent can worry about.
Alan May, Agent, Evanston, IL
Fri Jun 29, 2012
Sounds like it's time to find a new Realtor. Perhaps this agent just isn't familiar with the area... or maybe she's right, that it's not a good investment.

But that's completely unimportant. It's your money, it's your life, it's your decision. If you want to buy in that area, she should accommodate you. She's raised her concerns, you've heard her and overridden them... she should either help you with what you want... or you should find someone that will.