Question removed

Asked by Paul Hu, Pasadena, CA Tue Nov 27, 2007

This question was removed by its author.

Answers

8
Irina Netcha…, Agent, San Marino, CA
Tue Nov 27, 2007
Hi Paul,
I would let price and my family's needs dictate my decision. In Pasadena, we see a lot of 3 to bedroom homes. In my experience, you can not go wrong with either.
Irina
Jackie Blank…, , North County, SD
Wed Nov 28, 2007
Not always! In a particular complex in Carmel Valley, the 3+LOFT is selling at a higher price than the 4bd units. Reason? The upstairs loft is an added family/living space. These homes are a little over 1,500 sqft so having that extra room for playroom, media room, home office = multi-function room is more valuable than the 4th bdroom. It also is open so it feels more spacious as opposed to you walk up the stairs and you're faced with 4 bedroom doors. I think once you get to the 4bd market, its mainly familes that are looking and 4bd room stuffed into a small sqft homes are just too small for a family of 5. So generally, yes, but you should consider the sqft and layout of the house.
Karen Miller, Agent, Long Beach, CA
Wed Nov 28, 2007
Paul,

I always advise my clients to buy the home that you LOVE! That being said, a 4 bedroom will generally hold a higher value than a 3 bedroom plus den. The difference in value is minimal at best.

Karen MIller
Angela Benne…, , Glendale, CA
Tue Nov 27, 2007
All other things being equal (neighborhood, size of house, size of lot, condition of home, etc) then the 4 bedroom home would be the better long term investment.

But a den can be easily converted by the addition of a closet (if it's possible in the homes layout), so choose a house that you like and enjoy it! That's the best way to get value from your home always.
Kim Pape, Agent, Santa Clarita, CA
Tue Nov 27, 2007
As the other agents have stated, it is better to buy a 4 bedroom but it depends on where the den is and where the bedrooms are. If you want a den and a 4th bedroom can be used as one, then I say a 4 bedroom is better. When buyers are doing their searches, the 3 bedroom with never come up for someone needing more room.
Lorie Gould, Agent, Duluth, GA
Tue Nov 27, 2007
A 4 bedroom home is better than a 3 better home if the properties are in the same neighborhood and the neighborhood sells more 4 bedrooms than 3. There are so many important factors that go in to answering this question which could answer it with a yes or a no.

In this situation you are really better off to seek guidance from your agent because your agent knows what is selling in the neighborhood of these two homes.
Patrick J. T…, , Charleston S.C.
Tue Nov 27, 2007
Hi Paul,

Sounds like a simple question but it is not. Obviuosly a four bedroom home sounds more apealing than a three but the first thing I would ask myself is what type of neighborhood is it ( families, retired ect.). On paper a four bedroom sounds better but the location is important, schools, is it a rental, how many rentals in the neighborhood and the floor plan's flow is vital. Ask your Realtor these questions and I beleive they will be able to direct you in the right direction.

Good Luck

Patrick J Tivnan
Dave Rivera &…, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Tue Nov 27, 2007
Hi Paul,
If there isn't much difference in price, I'd advise buying the 4 bedroom home. You may only need 3 bedrooms and a den, but when you sell, some of the potential buyers may need 4 bedrooms. For instance, families with 3 children tend to need 4 bedroom homes, not 3 + den.