Question removed

Asked by Mr. Real, World Tue Nov 13, 2007

This question was removed by its author.

Answers

16
Ronnie Dailey, , Cleveland, TN
Tue Nov 13, 2007
Sometimes web sites are very slow to pull info. from an MLS or require an agent to have an account and input all info themselves [you can imagine the issues this creates with all the possible web sites] Magazines usually give us ONE chance to correct [proof] any mistakes we make or the publisher makes, adds are submitted well in advance of distribution dates with a short window to submit changes or corrections. In the end you will usually find a disclaimer that goes something like "Info. deemed reliable but not guarenteed" The seller is as upset as the potential buyer when mistakes occur.
Diane Glander, Agent, Spring Lake, NJ
Tue Nov 13, 2007
As agents, we do not have to defend ourselves against printing errors. They happen all the time. Usually the publication will print a correction with the next issue.
No one is perfect, BA, and perhaps if Trulia would insist on every poster entering legitimate personal information about themselves, you wouldn't be able to hide behind an anonymous profile while criticizing publicly the name and personal information of a well-respected Realtor. (By the way, there is currently a law suit for slander an agent has filed for someone who has done exactly this type of malfice online on the Craigslist site.)
Web Reference:  http://www.dianeglander.com
Steve Chaiss…, Agent, Murfreesboro, TN
Tue Nov 13, 2007
Steve Chaisson here.

Paul,

Thank you for letting me know about this discussion. I received the following email at 4:26 am this morning from the individual posting this question:

"$46,0001625 16th Avenue N, Nashville TN 37208, $79,900"

That was the entire content of the email. I would gladly discuss any discrepancy in accuracy of my teams print publications, but I have gone to the website in question, and I do not see any errors. The property in question for $79,900 is in Portland, and the price is listed correctly. Also, the property on 16th Avenue was listed at $46,000, and the price was listed correctly.

Additionally, we cancelled our advertising with this company a couple of months ago. The site is dated, and the information is not current. My marketing director is following up with a representative from the Real Estate Book.

I sympathize with the frustrations of buyers and sellers in the real estate market. I have found in the course of doing business that many people often speculate on facts and motivations lacking complete information, and this can often lead to conflict. No one has spoken to me directly regarding this issue, and I am open to any discussion of principles regarding the question, but I believe that the accusatory and combative tone of the question is somewhat innappropriate.

We pride ourselves on maintaining stringent ethical standards on our team. I have an attorney on staff, and we train each of our team members on legal and ethical issues on a consistent basis.

To answer the question posted, I would say that an agent has the ethical duty to the public to insure accuracy in advertising information. While an agent would not be held liable for errors by publishers, they would have an ethical duty to respond promptly and fix any errors. I would hope that in the context of fairness that anyone with a complaint would give thoughtful consideration to all of the facts involved and not make wanton accusations that could be injurious to the professional name and integrity of the accused party.

I would also suggest that consumers in the market place search sites that are either directly linked to the MLS or derive their data from IDX reciprocity. Realtracs.com and Realtor.com would be sites that should contain accurate information derived directly from the Middle Tennessee Regional Multiple Listing Service.

I sincerely hope that I have answered the question involved here, and I would ask anyone to please contact my staff directly if they have any further concerns.
Paul Moye, Agent, Franklin, TN
Tue Nov 13, 2007
As an agent in the same Market as Mr. Chaisson I will defend him on this point. Steve is a competing agent in this market and he like myself find ourselves defending this type of issue from time to time. We proof ads and look for mistakes but can not be held liable for the mis prints in any publication. When a third party company prints an ad with an incorrect price, incorrect info or other exceptions it is a mistake by the printer in most cases and rarely on occassion the agent.

I would also suggest that in the future you consider contacting the agent directly and not "outing" them on the web in this manner. Trulia is a wonderful forum to share information and seek answers to your questions. This is clearly a mistake by the printer and possibly the agent but not worthy of you posting his information as you have.
Cynthia, , Buffalo, NY
Tue Nov 13, 2007
Wow BA, you seem to have some pent up anger from a past life or something. I think that you should attack everyone! At least you're good at it. This site is used to encourage useful information to be shared between realtors and between realtors and consumers. You have done nothing more than take stabs at people and that is not useful. You should find yourself another avenue. I, for one, will no longer play in your game.
Sylvia Barry,…, Agent, Marin, CA
Tue Nov 13, 2007
Hi Steve,

Thank you so much for coming out and explain. You must be very well respected in your area to have Paul vouch on your behalf!

Who says that agents don't play nice together? Here is a living proof that we do!

Sylvia

Sylvia
Christopher…, Agent, Hemet, CA
Tue Nov 13, 2007
BA: Your question is legitimate and deserves an answer without attack. It can be difficult to spot these errors and am certain that the agent involved would also like to resolve the error quickly. Some advertising companies do make it very difficult to get errors corrected which can be very frustrating to agents and consumers alike. Thank you for the question. Accidents do happen and I am certain the agent involved appreciates the time you took to notify of this error. Your input helps all of us!
Holly Grigai…, Agent, Cottonwood, AZ
Tue Nov 13, 2007
Just wanted to say...Hat's off to whoever called Steve (Paul)...Way to go. You get your gold star for the day!
Carrie Crowe…, Agent, Southaven, MS
Tue Nov 13, 2007
Steve,
I think it is great you were notified and were able to give an accurate accounting of what was going on. It has been said many times that we only hear one side of the story here. It is refreshing to get a rebutle from the accused.
J R, , New York, NY
Tue Nov 13, 2007
Waiting for "BA" to say: Never mind. A la Emily Litella.
Carrie Crowe…, Agent, Southaven, MS
Tue Nov 13, 2007
"BA"
Hold them on the spot how? Are you a buyer looking for a great deal, or are you the seller upset because your ads are not right. You did not make yourself clear as to the purpose of holding the agent on the spot. My guess would be you are looking to capitalize on the error.
J R, , New York, NY
Tue Nov 13, 2007
Hi BA. Are either of these houses yours?
Sylvia Barry,…, Agent, Marin, CA
Tue Nov 13, 2007
Hello BA:

Thanks for bringing it up. However, I am a little confused by your question. I went and looked at the two links you provided, the one in Portland, TN for $79,900 has an address of 1031 Philip Dr. and the one in Nashville, TN for $46,000 has an address of 1625 16th Avenue H.

Looks like they are two distinct properties. So, unless I made a mistake looking at those two links, your point is not valid.- to give you the benefit of doubt, it could be that the agent found the mistake and corrected it.

For your information - technically speaking, , unless there are glitches in the system; most of the websites will not allow two different entries for one address - they usually have cross editing like that.

Secondly, sometimes when Realtors post property information on certain sites, the sites will automatically be populated to many other sites; some of the sites I use are so good that I don't even know how many potential sites my property actually get posted on. When there are information corrections or changes, some sites will pick up, some won't. This can be the other reason there might be potential inconsistency among sites for a specific property

Thirdly, as an Internet courtesy, I would never put a specific agents name and contact information on the post like you did. You obviously have his contact information, the right thing to do is to contact him directly and point out the errors.

This could just be a mistake (and in this case, turned out not to be true) and he could have changed that easily after one phone call from you;' and I am sure he would be grateful that you pointed it out.

I think that's why you are receiving objection from the agents here. However, I do agree with you, the could also point this out to you nicely.

We all have to learn our Internet manners, this goes a long way.

Thanks for bringing this up.

Sylvia
Mr. Real, , World
Tue Nov 13, 2007
Hey spare me the threatening talk. If most of you Real Estate Agents were selling houses you wouldn't be answering my questions so quickly here. I asked a question & the customer is ALWAYS RIGHT! Now go somewhere & sell a house. Report me if you want to, but, I asked a VERY legitimate question here! "BA"!
Mr. Real, , World
Tue Nov 13, 2007
Thanks for your answer! You make sense, but, time is precious these days too. The Agency/Agent still needs to get it right the first time. Stop thinking about the almighty dollar for once in your life. Or, give a substantial discount if the buyer & seller both agree with these terms caused by the Realtor Agency! $33,900 is a huge mistake if you ask me. I hope they inform the seller ASAP!
"BA"
Mr. Real, , World
Tue Nov 13, 2007
I e-mailed Steve before I posted here. If I hadn't of found the other ad by chance/luck, I'd be terribly upset when he e-mailed me the answer. Change the darn ad & get it right from now on people! A $33.900 mistake is WRONG to someone wanting to buy a house! Which would you rather pay for that house? $46,000 or $79,900? Lol!

I have been looking at house ads. I knew you Real Este Agents would defend one another online. Someone needs to do a better job, you get paid good money for it, right? I'll "out" anyone I feel like "outing" on here. Get the ads right & save people like me some precious time. When you negotiate the final price I bet you try wearing down the buyer just like a sneaky old Car Salesman would do too. I hope the housing market continues its downfall with answers like some of you have here on Trulia! Thanks! "BA"!