Home Buying in Reading>Question Details

Cwisni, Home Buyer in Newtown, CT

real estate agent said its a conflict of interest to list my house as well as my sisters house who lives 2 houses away in the same development, is it?

Asked by Cwisni, Newtown, CT Sat Sep 29, 2012

I don't see this as a conflict of interest, unless your state declares it such. Each house should be marketed and priced for the unique qualities that it has.......and the sisters need to understand that one is going to sell before the other.

As long as the Realtor follows their code of ethics and rules that are governing them by your state, I think it should be fine !

Why not get a 2nd opinion from another Realtor in your area to see what they feel about that !
It's not so much of a confict, as they would be competition to each other. However, I would use that to my advantage, by listing both houses and having open houses on the same day and encouraging agents to show both of them at the same time. Once one sells, the other will be top on the list for new buyers.

Loretta Leibert, Realtor, GRI
Prudential Landis Homesale Services
Fine Homes International Specialist
Office: 610-372-3200 ext. 3049
Cell/Text: 215-514-4872
E-mail: lorettaleibert@comcast.net
Website: http://www.lorettaleibert.com
Not sure who the Agent was that told you that, sounds as if he is not interested in one or both of the listings. Shawn K 610-334-1917.
Is it possible that it is different in Georgia? My sister and I have the same Del Webb house but I have more upgrades. My sister has a mortgage and a bank appraiser who appraised their house at $285,000 and the realtor told her she should list it at that. We didn't have a mortgage or bank appraiser and told us to list it at $275-279,000. Both houses are 1 year old but we have more upgrades. My sister's house is basically empty and mine is what the agent called a beautiful model house, before phoning me the next day saying another agent could represent us from her office to avoid a conflict of interest as she didn't want to get sued. I am at a loss as to what to think as she is representing my sister since she said she had a verbal agreement to list it with her. At this point I don't know if I should go ahead and use another realtor from her office.
Flag Mon Oct 1, 2012
I don't see a problem in that. Top Listing agent in my office. Let me know if you need help.
Web Reference: http://www.PeteGustis.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 30, 2012
Well, if the real estate agent says he would consider it a conflict of interest then--at least as far as he's concerned--it would be.

Although I haven't seen that question come up too often regarding relatives (and housing proximity), the question does get raised when one agent "owns" a neighborhood and has multiple listings within a few blocks of each other. There's sometimes a concern (by one of the owners) that the agent won't make sufficient attempts to promote that one property. On the other hand, there's a lot of benefit to having an agent with multiple nearby listings. There's the knowledge of the neighborhood, the ability to position the properties somewhat differently, the ability to coordinate open houses or the listings in direct mail, and so on.

If you'd really like that agent to be yours as well, I'd suggest talking to your sister. Get her agreement that she'd be comfortable with the situation. Then approach the agent together. That might work.

On the other hand, I'm sure there are a lot of good agents in your area. If your sister's remains uncomfortable with the possibility of both listings, you'll have to find another one to represent you.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 29, 2012
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA