question about bugs and mice in newly constructed house.

Asked by Jacob, Ashburn, VA Wed Dec 19, 2012

Hi All,
I am buying a new construction single family in Loudoun County and found some bugs and mice during the inspection in basement area. I haven’t closed the house yet. Now builder says it is a new construction and will very likely get mice and bugs, there is nothing they can do about it. Could someone please let me know if I can ask builder to do something about it or does any county or state law can help me here to get the needful done? Thanks for your help.

Answers

4
Yvonne Jansen, Agent, Leesburg, VA
Wed Dec 19, 2012
Jacob,

Being in the new home business for many years this can be normal unfortunately. Like Tim Moore mentions below "keep your home tight" before and once you move in.

You might want to consider to have your agent send an email to the sales representative on-site and to the builder who actually walked you through the house to have it exterminated "before" settlement and give you the invoice of the date for proof you can delay settlement. This is inexpensive and builders understand. They would do the same in your shoes.

Stay tough - it's your home and your future investment.

Yvonne Jansen
Summit Realtors, Inc.
http://www.yvonnejansen.com
To follow-up: This is not the termite treatment certificate that your lender will request as part of the docs for your settlement. But for possible mice and critters. Good luck!
Flag Wed Dec 19, 2012
Sonal Goda, Agent, Reston, VA
Wed Dec 19, 2012
Hi Jacob - I don't know if you have an agent - but either way, one of you should negotiate the issue with the builder and make sure they know it's a big deal for you. Be nice and professional but be persistent and let them see you are distraut over this. Builders care about their reputation... so they can usually be convinced to put in some extra effort to avoid an unsatisfied customer. I would ask first if they can treat after the house is closed up and provide you with the receipt. And as a last resort, ask if they can provide maybe a $500 credit toward closing costs so you can hire a company to treat after the closing. I have found Superior Pest to have very reasonable pricing and be effective.

Sonal
Laura Feghali, Agent, Stamford, CT
Wed Dec 19, 2012
Hi Jacob,
Yes, I suggest discussing it with the builder again. I agree that it doesn't seem right to have a newly constructed home that is plagued by mice and bugs. Perhaps, he could order and pay for an exterminator to remedy the infestation.
Are you working with an agent? Maybe your agent could also inquire about it to put some additional pressure on the builder to do something. I also suggest checking with your local health department for advice as it may pose a health hazard.

Good luck to you!

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty
Tim Moore, Agent, Kitty Hawk, NC
Wed Dec 19, 2012
What do you want the builder to do? What state law do you think applies to mice entering your home with out a permit? New construction home are open and critters will get in. Once you move in then you can keep things closed and tight, but to expect no bugs to have gotten in is a bit over optimistic on your part. You can contact a pest goomer and ask them to treat the house and kill anything in it, short of that I don't think you can expect more.