my parents are selling there house through a realtor but i want to buy it, is there a way to do it w/o going through a realtor

Asked by Cubbie, 52404 Fri May 28, 2010

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Jeanne Feeni…, Agent, Basking Ridge, NJ
Fri May 28, 2010
I agree with prior posters. I would do the same thing if a client of mine decided to sell to a family member. But technically, your folks could be bound by the listing agreement. What they will need is an unconditional release, may require the broker/manager approval. Yes, have your parents talk to their agent. And I suggest that you reward the agent -- if she accommodated you -- with a referral down the road.

Deb's suggestion that your parents offer to pay out of pocket expenses that the agent incurred would be a nice gesture.

Good luck, to you,
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference:
0 votes
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Fri May 28, 2010
I would, too, Debbie, although I'd wonder, "where was your child-buyer BEFORE I went to work, doing a CMA, working with you to prepare your house for the market, writing the copy, hiring the photographer and supervising the photo shoot, producing the brochures and publishing the listing, offering it to the market, maybe even holding an open house or more?"

There is such a thing as "excluded prospects," but I think that "stiffing" the Realtor(r) now that it's on the market is a bit, uh, stiff?
0 votes
Richard Schu…, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Fri May 28, 2010
Both good suggestions below. Perhaps your parents could suggest to their Realtor assisting with the paperwork and paying a consulting fee for that of some sort. There still will be a lot of paperwork, forms, legal documents, city documents, etc, needed, and a Realtor can help everything be processed smoothly.

Good luck,

Richard Schulman
Keller Williams Realty
0 votes
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Fri May 28, 2010
As Debbie suggests, your parents should speak to their Realtor.

If they need professional services of some sort (and they probably will), it's possible the Realtor would do it for a reduced fee. Or you could use a real estate lawyer.

Good luck.
0 votes
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Fri May 28, 2010
Cubbie - if I had a listed home that the son wanted to buy, I would simply allow the seller to withdraw it from the market, and sell it to the son!

It would be a nice gesure, if the sellers offered to pay for any upfront expenses (postcards, brochures, virtual tours, etc)............but in no way would I expect a commission under those circumstances.

Now.....that's me.........
Have your parents speak to their agent.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more