my hasband and purchased a quick sale home three months ago. But the old owner would not move from home that

Asked by Denise, Ohio Sun Nov 2, 2008

i just brought. what can i do to get them out!

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


James Gordon…, Agent, Hamilton, OH
Sun Nov 2, 2008
Denise, Scott is not familar with the process in Ohio. You need to file a 3 day notice. Once that has passed you can file eviction papers at the court. If they have to be evicted and the Sherriff has to set them out their property is levied and you may dispose of it.
Please contact an attorney to help you through this process. If you do one thing wrong on any of the papers you go back to the start with a fresh 3 day notice.
Do not try to change locks on the doors or play games with the utilities these are called self help eviction practices and carry fines and penalties.
Ask the agent that you used for a good recomendation for someone in your area that practices tenant-landlord law.

Good luck and by the way why did you close if the property was not vacant?
Web Reference:
0 votes
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Sun Nov 2, 2008
You need to begin eviction at once. you shoul have started the day you closed, you may want to hire a real estate attorney to do it if you are not familiar with the eviction process. Basically you need to serve them with a 30 day notice to move out, after the 30 days if they have not moved out then you files for a landlord tenant writ with the court, they have a sherriff deliver the notice usually 2 weeks out, the person in the property then has to show up at court, if they do not a writ of possession is issued and then it again is given to the sgherriff whoch will remove the person, your need to check the law in your state but in most places you will have to store anything left on the property for 28 days which then you can dispose of. take lots of pictures of anything left, one mans junk is another mans treasure so dont through it away unless you know 200%. You may also try a trick the banks use called cash for keys, where you offer the person $500 to $1000 to move out in 21 to 30 days, styart small with both and negotiate from there, if they move on time and leave the property broom clean they get paid. it is cheaper and quicker sometimes, but by all means start the eviction whether they accept it or not. start that 30 day clock ticking... good luck
Web Reference:
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more