my father in law is selling me his house and holding the Mortgage, however the deed will only be his daughters name.were does leave me?in NY

Asked by Robert Inserillo, New York, NY Mon Jul 25, 2011

Answers

11
Msnew, Home Buyer, 11772
Tue Jun 5, 2012
Thank god when getting divorced my father did the same for me, now the house was able to stay in the family. Sorry, I know it is not what you want to hear but in ny, it is the only way I could keep it "if" this happened. Which it did.
Jerry Cibuls…, Agent, Southold, NY
Tue Aug 9, 2011
Robert. You are paying the mortgage on his daughters home. You should have a conversation with all parties involved and discuss these concerns. From there you will be able to decide what the best course of action is.
Timothy R.…, Other Pro, Miller Place, NY
Tue Aug 2, 2011
It would be in your best interest to speak with an attorney.
Annette Levi…, , New York, NY
Mon Jul 25, 2011
NY is not a community property state. If your name is not on the deed, you have no interest in the property.
Martina Ryan, Agent, Bayside, NY
Mon Jul 25, 2011
You need to discuss this with your wife then make a decision.
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Mon Jul 25, 2011
In order to best protect yourself consult with an attorney, he/she can best advise as it relates to your specific situation....
Franklin Bla…, Agent, New York, NY
Mon Jul 25, 2011
There are several attorney's in Patchogue that can answer your question. You may want to call Larry Davis, Esq, 631-289-1600. There are a few answers to your question and you should be using an attorney to draft the paperwork.
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Mon Jul 25, 2011
Robert,

Definitely a question best directed to an attorney....

Cindy Rosen, Agent, Montgomery, AL
Mon Jul 25, 2011
Unless the house is in both of your names your rights may not be fully protected. If the house was a gift it may be appropriate to put the deed only in her name but if you are using joint assets to pay for the house and/or you are signing for mortgage the fair thing, in my opinion, would be for you and your wife to own the house jointly.
Tim Moore, Agent, Kitty Hawk, NC
Mon Jul 25, 2011
If you are paying to buy it I would want my name on the deed, without that you own nothing.
Gerard Carney, Agent, Spring Hill, FL
Mon Jul 25, 2011
Let Dad Gag on his own property and get a nice place of your own, the guy is trying to crap on you, I assume he does not like you and does this crap thing quite often! If that is the case, tell him shove it and tell him you and his daughter are off for California, okay nnot California, but get your own home free of this guys influence!