moving to greenville in 6 months and want to buy first home

Asked by kevin, Greenville, SC Sun Feb 17, 2013

I am moving to greenville within the next 6 months as part of my job and looking to buy my first house. I am 26, a college graduate, and have no debt except for my car payment. My credit score is 780. I was looking to put in 15,000 as a down payment and looking for a house in the cost of at most 200,000 dollars. Can I expect a good loan and interest rate? Are new home builders a good idea?

Answers

8
Kathy Harris, Agent, Greenville, SC
Mon Feb 18, 2013
Welcome to Greenville, and in six months you will officially be a Greenvillian! You have certainly done all the right steps to buy a home. With $15K down and a $200K home, you are putting down 8%. There are FHA loans with just 3.5% down, and some conventional loans with 5% down. I would be happy to send you a list of lenders for you to explore your options. It sounds as though you will have no trouble with a loan.

New builders are a great idea if that is your preference. New home construction is strong right now, and there are often some great incentives with the builders. The biggest question to answer is, "What is your lifestyle?" Do you want to be close to Downtown activities, close to your job, have a garden in a more open community, etc.? That answer alone will determine your best area and neighborhood.

I hope this helps and I would love to help you with your search! K.
Nima Buva, Agent, Greenville, SC
Mon Feb 18, 2013
Kevin,

You will love Greenville which is growing fast. I work with lots of buyers and currently it's all buyer's market. Mortgage rates are great. As fellow agents have told you, the first step is to talk with lender and get approved. Though my advice will be to explore the areas in Greenville during these six months. This will help you decide the location. Let me know if you need any help knowing more about the areas. Feel free to call me at 864-634-8670 if you need any further assistance.
Jason Jones, Agent, Greenville, SC
Sun Feb 17, 2013
Kevn

You should expect a great interest rate and loan considering your credit score and work history. In regards to whether new home builders are a good idea or not, it depends on what you are looking for in a home. In a new home you will be offered the opportunty to customize most things to your needs and wants. On a pre-existing home, you will have the benefit of being able to move in fairly soon rather than having to wait for a home to be built. I have lived in Greenville for 32 years and I would be the perfect realtor to assist you in making Greenville your home. It would be my pleasure to assist you in a finding a home whether you decide to buy or build a home. Please contact me at jonesrealty@yahoo.com or you can call me at 864-346-5892. Also, please visit my website to browse home for sale in Greenville jonesrealtyonline.com.
Beth Wietrz…, Agent, Sarasota, FL
Sun Feb 17, 2013
That is a really good down payment. Interest rates are good right now. Your down payment effect will depend on what kind of loan you get- conventional, FHA, or USDA.

Going with new building vs resale will depend on what style and look of home you what. With your score and down payment you won't have a problem with choices.

Give me a call or sende an email and I can send you some choices for home I this area.

Beth
Kim West, Agent, Greenville, SC
Sun Feb 17, 2013
Hi Kevin,

Congratulations...you will love it here! I think you will have no problem getting a great loan and interest rate. New home builders can be a good way to go, but so can purchasing a more established home. They both have unique advantages and disadvantages so your decision will ultimately depend upon your personal situation, preferences, and goals. If you haven't done so already, your first step should be to speak with a lender and get pre-qualified. I'd be glad to chat with you if you have anymore questions or need help finding your new home. Good luck and feel free to email me anytime!

Kim

Kim West
kim@thekeystogreenville.com
http://www.thekeystogreenville.com
Kathleen Emde, Agent, Greenville, SC
Sun Feb 17, 2013
Great area. Homes are affordable. I have a great lender that can get you started. Email me and I will send you his information. I used to live there and work in real estate there. I am in real estate in Mount Pleasant, SC

My email is kathy.emde@century21properties.com
Just send me a reminder in the subject... lender for Greenville, SC.
Nicole Ream, Agent, Greenville, SC
Sun Feb 17, 2013
Hi Kevin,

My name is Nicole Ream and I am an experienced agent here in Greenville. I am uniquely familiar with the needs of first-time buyers, as I have owned a home as both a single and married person here in Greenville. I attended Furman University here and started the area Young Professionals organization, run through our Chamber of Commerce, which current has over 950 members in your age group. I can put you in touch with the current President, as it would be a great social networking tool for you. They have leadership development programs, as well as recreational sports teams and other social events. As far as purchasing your first home, I would love to speak to you about available inventory here in town within your price range. You've asked some great questions that I think could better be answered in a personal discussion. I also have a network of lenders that we can bring into the discussion to assist you in determining a rate based on your personal situation. Feel free to call me at (864) 350-1760 if you'd like to continue the discussion.

Thanks for your inquiry!
Nicole P. Ream
J Michael Ma…, Agent, Greenville, SC
Sun Feb 17, 2013
Great, we are excited to have you. I would say your first step is to talk to a lender as they will be more educated on current interest rates and payments. I would be more than happy to send a list of them in our area. Also, when you get here we will take some time to sit down and educate you on our market, the process, and do a search for homes. Please feel free to contact me by phone or personal email listed below.

Anna Catron
Lead Buyer Specialist
864-915-1316
Annagcatron@gmail.com