me and my fiance are searching online for homes and would like to know what the term ACTIVE means.

Asked by Bill Macbeth, Syracuse, NY Thu Mar 19, 2009

Answers

10
Esther Zorn, Agent, Syracuse, NY
Sun Oct 9, 2011
ACTIVE means that the property is available and has no contracts on it. That being said sometimes houses are seen on the internet with an ACTIVE label and yet when an agent goes to check , the house may in fact be under contract and not available. A good realtor always checks with the listing agent for their client to make sure the house is really available.
Jerry Cibuls…, Agent, Southold, NY
Sat Oct 8, 2011
Active means the house is still available for sale and not under contract with a purchaser.
Allan Erps, Agent, Pearl River, NY
Thu Sep 15, 2011
Can be Active but not fully available. Your Agent would ask the Selling Agent if the home is "fully available". Most Realtors® should convey if there is an accepted offer pending, inspection done, contracts already out, etc. Until a home goes Under Contract in this area it is listed as Active.
Ed Kaminsky, Agent, Hermosa Beach, CA
Thu Sep 15, 2011
Yes, "Active" usually means available and I agree with William below: when using an internet service outside of a direct MLS link such as Realtor.com, Zillow and the like, you can't always assume the status to be accurate.

Nowadays, a listing is built in the Multiple Listing Service by hand by a listing agent, depending on the MLS agreement with their local board & area, it is very likely and common that the listing will then populate on multiple real estate related websites who have what is called an IDX (or internet data exchange) agreement with these sites. This is what we call in our industy, syndication. What this does for you, the buyer, is ensures that one way or another, you're going to stumble upon this house for sale on the internet somwhere.

What happens in syndication is that depending on the receiving website's platform (how it is built and functions internally) information from the MLS listing is grabbed and plugged into matching fields on the new website. So that's why sometimes you'll see the same home listed with 2 baths and other times you'll see it listed with 1 and a half. Most likely, the home actually has 1.5 baths, but the receiving platform did not have an option to "pull in" a half bath into their field, so it defaults as a 2 bath. How does that relate to your question? Doesn't really--just some added info to understand why even though these web sites are awesome to begin your search on, the best and most accurate way to get reliable information is working with a real estate agent.

But, to get back to your question, syndication also is not immediate, so when an agent changes a price in the MLS or changes that status from "active" to "pending" it can take up to 72 hrs for some syndicated sites to re-populate with the updated data! THAT's why you'll find that you can get your hopes up and fall in love with a property that says it's available then you call your agent only to find that it went into escrow 3 days ago.
If you are serious about buying a home, you need to be working daily with an agent. And the best sites for accurate data are usually links provided to you from your agent for direct updates from the MLS. It's the only way to avoid having your hopes dashed when you find the home of your dreams and then find out that apparantly it was someone else's too and they found out about it before you did and got their offer accepted before the sydnicated website you are using even pulled it in from the MLS.

Good Luck and happy house hunting!
Rich Homer, Agent, NAPLES, FL
Thu Sep 15, 2011
William,

Active usually means available, but not necessarily here. Please find as good Realtor. Unfortunately, I have found less than accurate data at times here and with other MLS syndicators as well, zillow.com, realtor.com, homes.com, etc. You might imagine how hard it is to keep up with entire U.S. housing market. I usually direct my clients to use our website http://www.team1-realestate.com but that won't help you there. Best to hook up with a local Realtor who has a solid website like ours to find REO's or let them do the searching for you. DO NOT GO AHEAD WOTHOUT A REALTOR. Use this website to find a GOOD REALTOR in Syracuse.
Mary Ann Bar…, Agent, Canastota, NY
Thu Sep 15, 2011
Means the home is still available on the market to buy. If you are not represented by a buyers agent you may want to hire one to work for you and send you all the listings available within your search criteria. Very important to have someone working for you, it's very important to know who's working for you and who is working for the seller.
Esther Zorn, Agent, Syracuse, NY
Wed Apr 22, 2009
Active generally means that the property is available for purchase., The reason I say generally is because sometimes the house has been sold - it may be contingent on a home inspection or something else - the agent should mark it K which stands for contingent but sometimes the seller doesn't want them to do that or sometimes they forget , the next stage for the house is P for pending which means that the mortgage has been underwritten by the bank and it is waiting to close. I hope this is helpful. I am a real estate broker/owner and my company is EXIT EZ Realty. Myself or any one of my 40 realtors would be happy to help you with your real estate purchase. You can reach me at 4304546 - my cell
Carmen Di Bi…, Agent, Nyack, NY
Sat Mar 21, 2009
William,

Depending on the Multiple Lisiting Service, ACTIVE can mean it is fully available but there can also be an accepted offer with inspections done and contracts out. Some MLS services do not have a category between ACTIVE and UNDER CONTRACT. Until the contracts are fully executed, signed by both buyer and seller, the house can still appear as ACTIVE.
Cynthia Nagle, Agent, Syracuse, NY
Fri Mar 20, 2009
Hi William, Active means that the house is fully available with no offers. If you notice that it is contingent, then there is an offer with some type of contingency, usualy a home inspection. If you would like help finding your new home please feel free to contact me at cnagle@realtyusa or visit my website at http://www.cindynagle.com Thanks, Cindy Nagle, NY Lic. RE Salesperson, RealtyUSA 458-9100x248
Dana Schuster, Agent, Slidell, LA
Fri Mar 20, 2009
it means it is on the market and available for sale--not under contract.