Tez, Home Buyer in 08536

is there an expiration time on using a selling agent for next purchase?

Asked by Tez, 08536 Wed Feb 1, 2012

My agent took loss at time of sale with intent on making it up at next purchase. It is now 4 years later and I am thinking of buying a home but am in a different market and would like to use a new realtor. Am I obligated to my first agent?

Answers

11
Tez,

You are not obliged unless you have a contract to the contrary. Even if you do have a contract read closely you might have an escape clause... and of course no contract should really last for 4 years.

Also, it is in your interest to go to a local expert instead of replying upon someone who you knew before sometime in an entirely different market.

Please call me on 609.903.8903 if you need help with buying in 08536, 08550 or WWP school district part of 08540. I specialize in this school district.

Trupti Gandhi
You're not obliged and if you're in a different market they may not be the right agent anyway. However you acknowledge they took a loss when they helped you the first time. and if you feel their a good agent you could ask them to refer you to a local agnet who is an expert in the market you're looking in now. This way they'll get a referral fee from that agent and you'll get an agent who know the market you'red now focused on.

I wish you the best of luck.
Hi Tez, no you are not obligated to use the agent, unless you signed an agreement to the contrary. And I've not seen an agreement that spans 4 years in my experience.

Good luck to you,
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results
Not unless you had an agreement or contract. You have to work with who you feel comfortable with. That is a chance all of us agents take - it should make us all work that bit harder to make you comfortable and satiisfied with our services.
Not unless you have an agreement or contract. Too bad they will lose out. I suggest contacting them & letting them refer you to another agent. Atleast they can recoup a small fee.
Tez,

Unless you entered into some type of written agreement with him or in the sales contract then you may be obligated to use his services again. If you didn't enter into any such agreement, he can't guilt you into using him. If you were happy with his services, then you should consider using him but with that being said and since you mention being in a different market - does he have access to the multiple listing service where you are. If not, that's a problem. I don't think an agent who cannot access or is not a member of the local multiple listing service where the house is located should list the house. But if that's not the case then obviously that's not the problem!

Would it be the right thing to do in some people's eyes? Yeah, maybe but I don't think you should be "guilted" into listing with that agent either. He made a choice to take a loss with the sale to close the deal and unless you agreed in writing to relist with him, if and when you decided to sell, sometimes we just have to accept the consequences of our actions.
Tez, none of us were party to your contract that you signed when you sold your home. Go find it. Read it. Does it say anything about a future purchase? Did you sign anything else?
It is not that I don't want to use him, he is saying I must since he took a loss at the sale, with the intent of making up that commission when I buy. Am I under legal obligation to him?
If you were impressed with the efforts of your Agent, and trusted him/her, perhaps you should give the Agent a call. Perhaps he/she can suggest an Agent who does!
No you are not obligated to use a previous agent at all. But if you had a good experience with your previous transaction with this realtor, why wouldn't you give that agent a chance to work with you again?
If your agent was kind enough to take a loss in order to help you out, why would you not consider contacting him/her beforehand, even if just to ask for referral suggestions....