is there a way to find out typical utility costs for a property?

Asked by Shoppergirl, 90027 Wed Mar 7, 2012

Answers

9
Niko Deleon, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Tue Sep 25, 2012
I've always had better luck reaching out to the utility companies directly.
Carla Muss-J…, , Portland, OR
Tue Jul 3, 2012
Unfotunately, there is no "typical" utility cost for a property. Why? Because people use utilities very differentlly. Some leave every light on in the house, every computer is on 24/7, they have 2 TV's going at the same time, plus the A/C is set at 68 degrees. Some people keep the furnance on all night when it's cold and even though they're sleeping the furnance is set to 75 degrees. IWhile other people are very conservative in their usage. If you call the utility company directly, which you may and inquire, it's still subjective based on so many variables. What's the size of the property, is the property insulated, what's the R-Level, what types of windows are installed etc. . .
Jennifer Liao, , Encino, CA
Sat Mar 10, 2012
You can also ask the neighbors of that property.
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Wed Mar 7, 2012
Ask the owner. If you have an agent, have your agent ask the owner or the owner's agent.
Edward G. Re…, , Los Angeles, CA
Wed Mar 7, 2012
Hi Shoppergirl. I live in Los Feliz, my bills for water and power are about $300 a month, but i have a pool. Gas is about $100 in the summer months and up to $175 in the winter. I always like to go to the owner selling a property for the most recent and most accurate information. Who knows better then them!

For more info you can cal me at 323-842-9687. :)
Marie Souza…, Agent, Centerville, MA
Wed Mar 7, 2012
Shppergirl - the current owner can provide you with that. Just ask.
Deborah Brem…, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Wed Mar 7, 2012
Hi Shoppergirl;
I always suggest to my clients that they ask to see the utility bills for the previous year on any property they are buying. While your family may differ slightly in its utility consumption, it will give you a starting point for estimating utility costs. Most sellers are happy to provide this to you.
Deborah Bremner
The Bremner Group at Coldwell Banker
REALTOR, 00588885, ABR, CDPE, eAgent, CSP, SFR, HRC, CRE
(O) 310-571-1364 DIRECT
(D) (310) 800-2954
http://www.thebremnergroup.com
Accredited Buyer Representative|Certified Distressed Property Expert |Pre-Foreclosure Specialist Certified
Craig "Ciro"…, Agent, Brooklyn, NY
Wed Mar 7, 2012
Well, one way is to call the utility company to find out the average cost. However, the best way, an inside tip, would be to ask the nieghbors. They will tell you exactly, due to underestimating by the utility company. You can also ask other pertinent information about the house or area. I hope I helped you, I am a Agent from Exit Top Properties. You can call or contact me anytime.

Ciro Traino
347-255-0863
cctraino@gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/C Ciro Traino
http://www.exittopproperties.com/
vishal sitla…, Agent, CELEBRATION, FL
Wed Mar 7, 2012
If you can provide the utility companies with the property address they can tell you the monthly and average costs. In addition to gas and electric you may want to include : Water, Sewer, Internet, Dish ,phone, and Community association fees .