is there a house tax break that would allow me to pay less per year on my property taxes due to income?

Asked by None, San Diego, CA Wed May 2, 2012

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Chris Gorno, Agent, Carlsbad, CA
Thu May 3, 2012
April 30th was the deadline for an appeal. However here is a link for the next fiscal year and how to proceed.

Let any of us know if you want help. The county will request values of comparable properties to be submitted with the appeal paperwork. An agent can do this quickly for you and save you some time. If you want to know all of your options, if you are having trouble with your payments, please reach out. there are options for you.

Have a great rest of the week!

Chris Gorno
0 votes
Irina Karan, Agent, Fort Lauderdale, FL
Thu May 3, 2012
You can also check out if there are any tax exemptions that are applicable to you and your county.

Irina Karan
CDPE - Certified Distressed Property Expert
Beachfront Realty, Inc.
0 votes
Kari Shea, Agent, San Diego, CA
Thu May 3, 2012

If we understand your question correctly, the answer is no. Income and property taxes are unrelated. Your home value and property taxes are related. For example, if your home value has dropped, the Tax Assessors Office has allowed you to submit for a decrease in your property taxes.

As Cory mentioned, the cut off was April 30th. However, we have read that they may continue this program. If you choose to do it, have a realtor you know submit the form with the comparable sales for homes like yours. We have performed this service for many clients.

We hope this helps,

Mark & Kari Shea
Shea Real Estate
Home Sales Specialists
Home Valuation Specialist
Land Sales, Acquisitions & Consulting
Serving Greater San Diego
0 votes
Cory La Scala, Agent, San Diego, CA
Wed May 2, 2012
Unfortunately, you just missed the deadline of April 30th to ask for a property value reassessment. This needs to be done between Jan.1 and April 30.

If you think the value of your property has dropped below your current assessment, you can have the county conduct a review by filling out an application online at (it's on the Forms page under 'REAPPRAISALS'), or by calling or visiting any of the branch offices. If you end up disagreeing with your reassessment, you can file an appeal, and there's a form for that too on the same page, and that process is done at another time of the year, usually July to November).

Good luck to you!

Warm Regards,

Cory La Scala, REALTOR
Independence Realty
0 votes
Chris Gorno, Agent, Carlsbad, CA
Wed May 2, 2012

If your home has not been re-assessed for taxes for some time, you may be able to have the assessed value lowered and your taxes will decrease. It is the time of year right now that you are able to do this, so I would look into this immediately. I offer this as a free service to my clients and I would be more than happy to take a look at your current value to determine what I can do to help. Also if you are a senior citizen, there are some options for those over you fit into that age bracket yet? Glad to help, just let me know: )

Chris Gorno
0 votes
Bianca Romani, Agent, San Diego, CA
Wed May 2, 2012
Hello, if you look at your current tax bill there is a Homeowner's Tax Exemption already on your property tax bill (usually a $70 reduction). It does not apply (or go by the owner's income).

If your goal is to lower your property taxes you can appeal to have your property tax amount reassessed by going online to the San Diego County Tax Assessor's website:…

Follow their instructions online towards your goal of lowering your taxes.

If you want to contact me directly, I can be reached at

Best regards,

Bianca Romani
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more