is portsmouth va a good place to live?

Asked by Bella, Portsmouth, VA Fri Mar 19, 2010

Answers

7
Jen, , Portsmouth County, VA
Sun Apr 4, 2010
We have lived in Portsmouth for the past 4 years and it is very nice. The Simonsdale area is very relaxed with nice houses and neighborhoods with kids and dogs great for raising a family. City Park is a great place to play tennis and golf with beautiful river views with public access for boats and you can walk there from Simonsdale. You get more house for your money and it is still close to Norfolk and Chesapeake. It is getting nicer every year which I think is important too. Easy access to Suffolk and the new stuff like Harris Teeter which is there now but closer to Norfolk and VA beach without the expense.
600 Cornwall…, Home Buyer, Chesapeake, VA
Thu Jul 15, 2010
Is Portsmouth a good place to live? Your question is very subjective. I personally love Portsmouth for many reasons none of which may be of importance to you personally. Portsmouth is a very old city with many historical areas and magnificent water front views offering residents and vistors with splendid siteseeing opportunities. Imagine if you will living in a city where there is absoluteoly no traffic problems. Once a person leaves the tunnels to enter into Portsmouth it becomes immediately apparent you have entered a different world all together. The hussle and bussle of Norfolk and Virginia Beach and their traffic congestion becomes a distance memory and a Godsend. True, Portsmouth offer very little in nightlife and enterainment and importantly, quality resturants. As far as a safe place to live the answer to that question lies with the indivisuals choice of where to residei within Portsmouth as well in Norfolk and Virginia Beach. In my opinion they are not safe cities. And once again endurung the 24/7 horrific traffic within those cities. I love Portsmouth, one of the best kept secert cities in Va, let's hope it remains that way.
Mccoyfam03, , Portsmouth, VA
Mon May 24, 2010
Depends on where you live. Some areas are nice and mostly safe. Others are not, plain and simple, just because of the type of activities that tend to go on there. Where are you looking to live?
Where are some good neighborhoods or zip codes to look for houses. I am looking to move from Virginia Beach to Portsmouth. My husband works in the shipyard and hates commute. I love the restarants and Old Towne. It seems there is a lot to like in Portsmouth.
Flag Sun Mar 12, 2017
Rick Giannas…, Agent, Virginia Beach, VA
Sat Mar 20, 2010
Hey Bella, How are you? It is illegal for any Real Estate Agent to tell you whether a town, neighborhood or city is a good or bad place to live. It's a violation of the fair housing act. I know it sounds crazy, but it's the law. There is so much information available on the internet to help you determine where you to live.

If there is a specific property you are interested in I will be happy to take and/or meet you there so you can see for yourself. Please call me or visit my website it is connected to the multiple list service http://www.ListandSellMyHouse.com

Have a great day!

Rick Giannascoli
Blu Skyy Realty
Cell (757) 572-0672
e-mail rick@bluskyyrealty.com
Amandacaree, Home Owner, Portsmouth, VA
Sun Jan 19, 2014
I live in Portsmouth, in the Waterview neighborhood off of high st, near Churchland, and it is an excellent short commute to the Naval Medical Center Portsmouth NMCP. We bought in July 2013. Excellent neighborhood, great amenities ( parks, museums, etc). We are super satisfied with our decision to live here. I am a nurse, turned stay at home mom, and my husband is an officer in the Navy, stationed at the Medical Center. No traffic problems means more time with my husband. Live on this side of the river if you work at the Medical center, you will not regret it. Also, you get much more bang for your buck over here in Portsmouth. Our neighborhood is awesome, but so are many others. Neighborhoods I can reccomend are Waterview, Churchland, sterling point, green acres, just to name a few. Before you make your decision where to live, talk to people who live in Portsmouth. Youll find that there are ALOT of young professionals, and lots of families. Lots of activities for the kids too. Also, Olde towne has a great deal to offer in terms of dining and entertainment. I kind of love this area so much, I dont want it to get spoiled by too much popularity...that would mean more traffic...but when you love something, its kind of contagious.Happy house hunting.
Angie, Home Buyer, Virginia
Tue Oct 2, 2012
I don't know where apm lives, I'm guessing in Truxtun or a similar neighborhood. I'm from small town America, and think Portsmouth is no different. Have said before, but I'd recommend staying in an extended stay hotel and checking out the nightlife in the neighborhood before you buy. Each area is unique and even in the same area, there are pockets of undesireable behavior and pockets of a great place to live. The people I've ran into are fine. There are addicts in Alaska and Iowa, etc...I don't see any just out on the streets everywhere here. The biggest OUCH here are the taxes, registration fees, etc...for your car and home. Property taxes are out of the roof...and services and facilities no different or less than places with much lower taxes.
apm5016, Renter, Portsmouth, VA
Sat Sep 15, 2012
Portsmouth, VA is one of the worst places to live that I can think of. There is not nearly enough "good" to make up for the drug addicts, homeless people, and crime that exists here. The "nice parts" of Portsmouth are few and far between and honestly, are not that "nice". Traffic here is terrible. If I want to get to Virginia Beach between 3:45 and 7:00 PM, I have to go west on 264, turn around, and wait 25 minutes in line to get through the downtown tunnel. The people here are terrible scummy folk. I have numerous co-workers who have been mugged, scammed on Craigslist, etc. I, personally, was bit by a neighbors dog while simply walking to my mailbox. While bleeding with saliva on my leg/shorts, these people tried to argue that their dog did not bite me, that I "snuck up on them". If you are in a minor fender bender, the people will sue you for all you've got. Portsmouth is a microcosm of what is wrong with our society. Everybody wants that free ticket to fortune, however, nobody wants to work for it. Pawn shops, loan centers, and other places of business reminiscent of hard economic times litter this city. It is just all in all a terrible place to live. The only bright side being that it motivated me to better myself so that I can escape this god forsaken hell hole.
I feel sorry that you feel that way cause I do myself, it's frustrating
Flag Tue Mar 31, 2015