Xbluexcloud, Home Buyer in 91801

is it possible to buy a house, without my spouse's name on deed and still have 50% over the house?

Asked by Xbluexcloud, 91801 Mon Nov 14, 2011

my step-dad is retired, and does not want to contribute to purchasing a house, he will be living in the purchased home, and with my mother's income is considered as low-income.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Tue Nov 15, 2011
You should probabily start by meeting with a local and trusted mortgage broker, they can prequailify you at no cost, they will look at your credit plus your financials and let you know if there are any mortgages that you may quailify for given your situation and they can explain adding names to deeds after closing..


Web Reference:  http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
1 vote
Cesar Aviles, Agent, Alhambra, CA
Mon Sep 23, 2013
In California a real estate agent is the person qualified to advise on real estate transactions. If you desire legal or tax advise, consult an appropriate professional. I can suggest a good real estate lawyer and a good CPA.
0 votes
William Tong, Agent, Arcadia, CA
Thu Sep 27, 2012
Here's the answer you're looking for:

You need a Life Estate Deed with you as the remainder person. You purchase the house and you'll have 100% ownership. Then you transfer the property to whoever you want for the life of that person. This will save you lots of trouble later down the road.

I'd appreciate it if you picked my answer as the "best"!

Good Luck!

Golden Land Investments & Financial, Inc.
DRE #01903501
0 votes
Camelia Vera, Agent, Arcadia, CA
Tue Nov 15, 2011
Dear Home Buyer:
Yes, it can be done. I am an Real Estate agent in the Alhambra, San Gabriel, Arcadia (San Gabriel Valley) area and can help you. First, I would give you the names of some lenders who can prequalify you. If you already have a lender or are paying cash, then we can proceed to the home purchase. If you already have the home in mind, I will give you the names of some Attorneys who can advise you how to take title to achieve what you want to do. Give me a call so we can proceed and possibly get your parents into the home by year end. : ) Camelia Vera, DRE 01871575, Coldwell Banker George Realty 626-484-4500
0 votes
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Tue Nov 15, 2011
Your scenario is confusing. You're buying the house, your step-dad will live there with your mother. And you don't want your spouse's name on the deed. Is that right?

Sure, it's possible. Just have a knowledgeable lawyer structure the deal. I don't know whether, in California, you can purchase a property without your spouse being on the deed. (The lawyer would know.) But even if that's not allowed, there are other ways to accomplish what you want. It'd likely involve setting up another entity, such as an LLC, to purchase the property. Or a land trust would work nicely, though fewer lawyers seem to be familiar with how to structure them.

Hope that helps.
0 votes
Caroline York, Agent, St Petersburg, FL
Tue Nov 15, 2011
This depends on several things. Laws of the state. How the ownership is established and deed written. So if the deed ownership is the most important question you should contact a real estate attorney to make sure that any home you buy is purchased correctly. After you speak with the attorney then you will know how to advise the lenders and realtors on the purchasing documents.
0 votes
Shel-lee Dav…, Agent, Rolling Hills Estates, CA
Tue Nov 15, 2011
You question is not clear. Who will be buying the house? Who will be on title? What type of loan are you getting? What do you mean "have 50% over the house"?

Feel free to call me with your questions, or just clarify what you are asking in this thread. Hope to hear from you soon and Dare to Dream.

Shel-lee Davis, QSC®
Certified Distressed Property Expert – CDPE®
Short Sale & Foreclosure Resource – SFR®
Certified HAFA Specialist – CHS®
SSG Pro®
Your Real Estate Consultant for Life
RE/MAX Palos Verdes Realty
424-2HELP12 (424-243-5712)
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more