is it feasible to build our "dream home" in Frisco, TX?

Asked by Steve, Plano, TX Wed Dec 19, 2007

i would like to build a modest, custom home on a decent sized lot in Frisco, TX (Frisco ISD). attributes: standard construction materials and methods (brick and stone), 2600 SF @ $85/SF, 2-story, specific room layout and size, high energy efficiency.

is this feasible?

Answers

7
Patrick Jack…, Agent, McKinney, TX
Wed Dec 19, 2007
Hi Steve,

You have at least four attributes in your description that will challenge building in the $85/SF 2600 SF range in Frisco. 1. "Custom" is a loaded word, but any home built to your own "layout" will limit the builders who will work with you. 2. "Decent lot size" mean a premium lot in any neighborhood. Add $5,000 to $15,000 or more depending on the builder and location. 3. 2600 square feet increases the price you pay per square foot. The smaller the house, the more it will cost per square foot. 4. Construction - Brick is standard. Stone accents are upgrades. Typically $3000 to $8000 for a stone accent on the front elevation. High energy efficiency - Most builders build in a good level of energy efficiency. It is require by current codes. Additional elements to consider are reflective material on roof decking or in the attic, higher R values on insulation, and 18 SEER air conditioning. More $$$.
New construction in Frisco for builder spec homes on standard lots is running $80 to $95 per sq ft for a 2600 to 3000 sq ft home. My best recomendation is contact a REALTOR. We can do a lot of the leg work for you, represent your interest in negotiating with a builder, and best of all, our commission doesn't increase what you pay for the home. Our fees are paid for from the builder's advertising dollars. Our commission does not affect what you pay for the house, but our experience will save you money. Give me a call. I'm here to help!
Bruce Lynn, Agent, Coppell, TX
Thu Dec 20, 2007
Patrick's answer is probably not what you want to hear, but right in line from my read of your question. That could be the difference between what you mean and what we read though. I would think the biggest challenge for you is finding a lot if you truely want to build a custom home. It seems most of the lots I see are in planned communities and owned by production builders who will likely not want to sell you the lot seperately so you can bring in a different builder. I'd think you are also a little low on the price side. In Frisco the production builders on the basic side of the equation on standard lot might be in $85/sqft range, I think if you build a true custom home to your design with some of the added features you suggest, you could be up about $100/sqft or more....but of course that again depends on your definition of "decent sized" lot and "standard construction material". Always use a realtor to help you build.....we've often gone through the process over and over and can provide you tips to save you money.
Web Reference:  http://www.teamlynn.com
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Wed Feb 27, 2008
Building a home is not as easy as you think, you need to know the builder. Frisco is a GREAT area of Dallas however if you were to sale your home in the next 5 years you may not get all the money you anticipate. A choice of current inventory is a good option, there are someeee awesome foreclosures in Frisco that new construction move in quality... below market value.
Web Reference:  http://www.lynn911.com
Home Ferret, , Plano, TX
Thu Jan 31, 2008
Your best bet to stay in your price range is to find an inventory home that best meets your needs and make an offer on it. Area builders are highly motivated to sell the homes that they have already finished. The web is a good place to start so you can narrow your search.
Web Reference:  http://www.homeferret.com
Brad Holden, Agent, Frisco, TX
Thu Jan 3, 2008
yes, find a desperate builder and I'm sure they will accomodate you.
Marilyn Will…, Agent, Sherman, TX
Wed Dec 19, 2007
$85.00 a sq. ft. in Frisco is a little low. But it is possible. Do you have a builder in mind? Some tract builders will customize their plans also. Let me know if I can be of help. Marilyn Williams-Manager, Ebby Halliday Realtors
Bette Ann Ko…, Agent, Plano, TX
Wed Dec 19, 2007
You can probably find a preowned in Frisco, nearly new, with 2600 sq. ft. for $85 per sq. foot, but it might be difficult to build at that price. If I can be of assistance with your home search, please give me a call.
Cell: 214/417-9246. Bette Ann Koberstein, Ebby Halliday Realtors, e-mail koberstein@verizon.net