Home Buying in Clear Lake>Question Details

Spider_spid, Home Buyer in Houston, TX

is it easier to buy a townhome than a house?

Asked by Spider_spid, Houston, TX Thu May 5, 2011

In our market, and especially in our area, it really doesn't make a huge difference.

What I believe you should be thinking about it maintenance. With a townhome, the outside maintenance, landscaping and exterior of the units are all taken care of through the HOA (Homeowner's Association). With a single family home, you are responsible for those items.

It is really a personal preference. What is the lifestyle you are most interested in? Also, remember that townhome HOA's are usually more expensive that your typical subdivision HOA.

If you are interested in getting more information from a local agent, please contact me at 832-561-3445.
I think a great deal of this would depend on the market you are in. In the market here, it is not really anymore difficult but as with anything it has its own special obstacles. As mentioned in some of the other answers. Due to the military market here we have a rather large number of townhomes, and more coming. Due to that fact I would be slightly more hesitant to buy one if I knew I had to sell in the next 5 years or so. Our market will have a lot more in that time. But there are some great buys on some as well.
So all of that said I am not sure there is a short answer but one could be had if you sit down with a Realtor who knows your market and can give you some sound advice.

Chris Senn
Premier Properties Real Estate
Enterprise, Al.
The short answer, no.
Is it harder to buy a townhome than a house? Not necessarily either. Like mentioned in the previous answers, if the townhome is a condo, you will take a small hit to your interest rate and there are stricter guidelines from lenders for the property to qualify for a loan.
Typically, the smaller the complex, the easier it will be for it to qualify. If it is a highrise with lots of vacancies and/or foreclosures, it will be very tough. I know a condo expert in the mortgage field though that can get just about anything done.
I am very cautious, so I vote for single-family home :)
In most instances, townhomes are either under homeowners' association (HOA) guidelines, or are independent of any regulation. Rarely are they part of a condominium association. This being the case, they fall under the same requirements as a traditional single-family home. You may well get more for your dollar up front ... but townhomes are difficult to sell, given the limited market for them. Add the fact that financing criteria are more stringent, and the number of qualified and interested buyers diminishes even further. I'd be happy to answer any other questions you might havre. Please feel free to contact me. I wish you well.

Web Reference: http://www.har.com/algeffon
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 7, 2011
Well that would depend on if you are buying cash or finacing. If cash it is the same thing. If financing then the community will need to be approved for financing. Which your lender and realtor should be able to narrow down the list and show you approved communities.

You can also get the list of approved Fannie communities and Hud communitites online at their websites.

Buying a townhome or house is about the same.. If the townhome has a lot and block then it is exactly the same as a house and does not need to be on any list.

Best of luck
Web Reference: http://www.SLeonRealtor.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 7, 2011
Not much difference as long as your townhome isn't part of a Condominium regime that isn't FHA approved. Otherwise, as long as it appraises you should be fine.

I would say the difference is that it will be easier to sell a home rather than a townhome as the universe of buyers for townhomes is much smaller than single family homes for when that time comes.

Personally, I'd pick the house if all other factors are equal.

Let me know if you need any assistance.

Scott Butcher
Mortgage Banker
Maker Capital Group, LLC
2307 Lake Austin Blvd.
Austin, TX 78703