Home Buying in Wilmington>Question Details

bz052301, Home Buyer in 33870

is a screened in porch included in a House's TOTAL square footage?

Asked by bz052301, 33870 Mon Oct 1, 2012

Answers

7
Here in Florida, TOTAL square feet will include, screened porch, front porch, garage, lanai and in many cases other detached structures such as a gazebo with a foundation, such as utility buildings (not tool sheds), carriage houses, cottages and studios.

It should be understood, the value associated with these 'unconditioned spaces' is calculated differently. A lanai, for instance is open space that lies beneath the main roof structure of the house, typically the area adjacent to the pool. Since this unconditioned space is beneath the roof (not an add-on flat roof) the value is significantly higher. These spaces can be significant. The same would apply for an attached garage sharing the same roof line as the house.

It is not uncommon to see over 1,000 SF difference between total square feet and conditioned square feet. This space can not be discounted as having no value.

A screened porch is most likely INCLUDED in the total square feet. You should see it itemized on the tax assessor's report. In Willmington DE, lanais may not be a factor, but garages and porches, as you identified, will be evident.
Sorry I meant to say it. Now that I know it is included, our house is 3243 square feet
Thank you for the help. I appretiate ot
I have never seen a screened porch included in the square footage by an appraiser. I have sometimes seen the square footage adjusted by the agent when listing a property. If there is a particular property you are interested in, I would be happy to check into it for you. We can usually get the most accurate numbers from the public record.
Depending on the appraiser he or she may include it in the total square footage but it should NOT be included in the livable square footage. Hope this helps.
No, it's not livable space...an appraiser would not count it..........wouldn't count the garage, either.
Yes, it should be. As long as it is under a roof it should be included. Lets say you have a 1500 square foot house (like me). That is the TOTAL square footage of my house, including my garage and my porch. So overall, a screened in porch should be included in a houses TOTAL square footage