interested in a home in Grosse Ile, Michigan, however; we just learned that the homeowners child commited suicide. Where can we locate information?

Asked by Bella2010, Grosse Ile, MI Wed Oct 19, 2011

Must the seller disclose it?

Answers

4
caljensens, Home Owner, Grosse Ile, MI
Mon Oct 1, 2012
The child most likely did not die in the house. Most of the suicides I've heard about on the island have been outside of the home. Often in Elizabeth park or some such place.
Maureen Fran…, Agent, Birmingham, MI
Mon Oct 24, 2011
Kevin supplied you with great answer. That is an item that is not covered on a seller's disclosure in Michigan. The only place I can think you might find information about that is the local newspaper. The question is, how would knowing that information impact your decision to purchase?
Kevin Smith, Agent, Rochester, MI
Thu Oct 20, 2011
Bella, to answer your question about disclosure. No, they do not have to disclose a death in the home, crimes committed, or anything not related to the physical aspects of the home covered by the Sellers Disclosure Act. I have referenced that in the link below this answer. Thank you.
Elisa Dewees, Agent, Cherry Hill, NJ
Wed Oct 19, 2011
That is very sad.Try contacting the local police since 911 would have been called. You may have to go there in person to find out. Not all states require disclosure of a suicide. Your local municipality has a wealth of info on homes, including permits filed for work done.